Is it safe to eat aiptasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9500985#post9500985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Angel*Fish
Yes, thanks - that totally cleared up any questions I had ;) :lol:

Always happy to be of service.

Oh, and page 5 ownage.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9501315#post9501315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hubris007
Always happy to be of service.
Hmmm...you own p5 - where is Scuba Dave? Guess he can't be everywhere at once :D

That kid is definately an idiot.

Before you jump on me, I think I was an idiot at that age too! Who wasn't?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9501735#post9501735 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
That kid is definately an idiot.

That's exactly the type of statement that qualifies as a personal attack. That kind of thing is frowned on here.

On a side note, if you're going to call someone on their intelligence, using spell check while doing so could make people question yours less.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9501910#post9501910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8
That's exactly the type of statement that qualifies as a personal attack. That kind of thing is frowned on here.

On a side note, if you're going to call someone on their intelligence, using spell check while doing so could make people question yours less.
:) Definitely.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9501910#post9501910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8

Is that not a little hypocritical?

I apologize, but we seemed to have missed the point of my post, which is to say that teenagers tend to do idiotic things, and I admitted to doing dumb things myself (even now in my post-teen years, I sometimes forget to spell check).

So, to mitigate misunderstandings, let me explain that I am sure that the kid who pulls unknown objects out of a tank to eat them is not an idiot. As a previous poster pointed out, he may very well be a genius in training. Who knows, if I had a reef around when I was a teenager I may not have survived.

On a serious note, how could the father of the girl not been a little mad to see someone rummaging around in his tank? Especially for food! Sure, this was an aptasia, but what if it had been a superman monti? That carries a different price.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9498472#post9498472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hubris007
252fluidexchange.GIF

glomerulus.jpg

s8p2.jpg

To oversummarize, animals can't drink salt water because the kidneys can only make urine that is less salty than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the excess salt taken in by drinking salt water, thry have to urinate more water than you drank, so they die of dehydration.

Or, maybe this will help:

water_loss.gif

Here's what to look for if you think it may be a problem:
AMA_Digestive_StomachAndOther_Lev20_PreventingDehydrationDiarrhea_JPP_01.gif

Or in VERY severe cases:
nicole_richie_hospital_visit.jpg

Does that help?
Best post of the thread!

Not so best post of the thread. Obviously the poster was joking about the word "idiot" and not seriously calling the kid one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9502561#post9502561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
Is that not a little hypocritical?

I apologize, but we seemed to have missed the point of my post, which is to say that teenagers tend to do idiotic things, and I admitted to doing dumb things myself (even now in my post-teen years, I sometimes forget to spell check).

So, to mitigate misunderstandings, let me explain that I am sure that the kid who pulls unknown objects out of a tank to eat them is not an idiot. As a previous poster pointed out, he may very well be a genius in training. Who knows, if I had a reef around when I was a teenager I may not have survived.

On a serious note, how could the father of the girl not been a little mad to see someone rummaging around in his tank? Especially for food! Sure, this was an aptasia, but what if it had been a superman monti? That carries a different price.

Speaking for myself, I was just a little tired of the word "idiot" on this thread, sorry :D. That was really nice of you to apologize :).

As for the father of the girl, trust me, he wouldn't care if my daughter's boyfriend ate up all the corals, fish and liverock - he's not really into the tank ;)

I think that some people get mad at hearing stuff like this because it hits home as a major problem in the world right now. Parents that just don't give a hoot what their kids do. This thread started with a mother basically boasting about her kid's boyfriend eating an aiptasia that may or may not be poisonous. She thought it was funny and wanted to share it with the world. I just hope my tax dollar isn't paying for that kids medical insurance.:rolleye1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9502864#post9502864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FireEater

Obviously the poster was joking about the word "idiot" and not seriously calling the kid one.

I disagree, the quote was;

"That kid is definately an idiot. "

I don't know where you get "Obviously the poster was joking" from, but that doesn't mean that this should not be put to rest right now.
Do we want to continue discussing the nutritional value/dangers of consuming the animals in our tanks, or do I need to close the thread?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9504420#post9504420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8
I disagree, the quote was;

"That kid is definately an idiot. "

I don't know where you get "Obviously the poster was joking" from, but that doesn't mean that this should not be put to rest right now.
Do we want to continue discussing the nutritional value/dangers of consuming the animals in our tanks, or do I need to close the thread?
Well I would have disagreed also if I only quoted the one part of the post.

But coupled with this part, "Before you jump on me, I think I was an idiot at that age too! Who wasn't?" is what makes it a joke.

Why would you threaten to close the thread? Just because you don't agree with one or two posters? There are like thousands of threads on RC, I fail to see why two or three posts that clearly did not get out of hand would warrant a closure.

Larry, I'm trying my best not to be inflammatory, here, but I'd like to explain something to NaH2Ofreak.

Any parent who has gotten their children through high school and college (and living independently!) these days can relate to my mother's advice: "You've got to laugh or you'll just go crazy". I think Marie had the situation under control. She observed the boyfriend for indications of a reaction, told him what to watch for and to take it seriously. Do you think she should have been following her daughter around 24/7? I believe that would lead to an extremely neurotic child. Things happen when you're a parent - life isn't always as perfect as we''d like it to be. When those little twists pop up it's nice to be able to have a forum of fellow enthusiasts who can see the humor of the situation. I believe the ideology of the group is to share support, not to become judge and jury.

I believe Marie handled the situation appropriately, shared a funny story, and subsequently accepted the negative comments with grace and restraint. Most of us are just trying to do our best. Thanks, Marie, for providing an entertaining thread and helping to take our minds off our problems for a for moments. :)

That was not a threat to close the thread, don't put words in my mouth.
When threads take a bad direction, and folks start posting inappropriate things, they are dealt with by the means available. My first stop in this thread was to warn that I have been made aware of this as a potential problem thread.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9498226#post9498226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DgenR8
There are a few posts in this thread that cross the line, but it seems to be coming back around now, so I won't close it.

This thread was already on the chopping block, I posted to say that it had already crossed the line. After that, another post is submitted containing a personal attack.
To clarify the verbiage, this is a warning. I see several posts in this thread that are worthy of taking action for. The thread now hangs by a thread.
Continue a level headed adult discussion, without personal attacks, and it could hang here for an indefinite amount of time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9504618#post9504618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sierra6
Larry, I'm trying my best not to be inflammatory, here, but I'd like to explain something to NaH2Ofreak.

Any parent who has gotten their children through high school and college (and living independently!) these days can relate to my mother's advice: "You've got to laugh or you'll just go crazy". I think Marie had the situation under control. She observed the boyfriend for indications of a reaction, told him what to watch for and to take it seriously. Do you think she should have been following her daughter around 24/7? I believe that would lead to an extremely neurotic child. Things happen when you're a parent - life isn't always as perfect as we''d like it to be. When those little twists pop up it's nice to be able to have a forum of fellow enthusiasts who can see the humor of the situation. I believe the ideology of the group is to share support, not to become judge and jury.

I believe Marie handled the situation appropriately, shared a funny story, and subsequently accepted the negative comments with grace and restraint. Most of us are just trying to do our best. Thanks, Marie, for providing an entertaining thread and helping to take our minds off our problems for a for moments. :)
Thank you Sierra, that is one of the kindest posts I've ever seen on RC - and I really appreciate it. :) Very sensible, too.

DgenR8, I love it - "The thread now hangs by a thread." :lol:

I think more threads should hang by a thread. That seems somehow appropriate. On a good note, many of the posts that weren't attacks were pretty hilarious. New methods of aptasia control indeed. . .

NaH2Ofreak - shame on you for making such a harsh and personal judgement on someone you don't even know.

Then to make an even more embrassing comment (I mean embarassing for yourself) that states that the problem with the world is that parents today don't give a hoot. Are you stating that parents in the past (the good ol' days) did? If anything we give too much of a hoot and coddle our children to the point that they don't experience life in a healthy way and nor do their parents.

So much judging of others without looking at one's self first...that is what hits home as a problem with the world today.

Larry - Please close this thread, as I'm sickened by the lack of kindness in mankind.

Enough is enough. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back