Is it safe to eat aiptasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9488160#post9488160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vijaym85
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1065116

ppl were critical over me making that thread, now maybe ppl will wise up a bit....

So now we should have a warning on aiptasia? In all seriousness though, the person who started the thread made the purchase, so a warning would have done absolutely nothing to stop this from happening. In my home, everyone, including my 2 year old knows they do not go near touching anything on the fish tank....part of that "respecting the dangers of the entire tank" over fearing one species of something.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9496264#post9496264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HoopsGuru
So now we should have a warning on aiptasia?
Yes! But regarding how invasive they are!
Should say something like "WARNING! These little @$#!%'s will be the bane of your hobby!" :D

Hubris, tell us about dogs and salt water, please :) I didn't know about that. Are you saying just the saltwater will kill them? If so, you're right - that went over my head :lol:

The comment about the dog was not a joke. The guy was fragging zoas in a tub of water for a frag meet. He didn't clean up right away and didn't notice his dog take a drink. His dog starting having symptoms a couple hours later and passed away. Assumption here is it was palytoxin from the zoas.

On the other hand if the BF will eat majanos he could get quite wealthy here. :D

People in other countries eat alot of the stuff in our tank as treats. Some people just don't know how to have fun.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9478748#post9478748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tang Salad
I'd worry more about your daughter than her boyfriend.

LOL! That was a good one.

littlefish72: Always dig Spaceman Spiff

I really hope you're kidding. If you're worried about someone "making it through the night", you should be going to a hospital and not posting messages on Reef Central. Fortunately, it sounds like aptasia isn't too harmful, but there seriously are things in your aquarium that can make someone really sick or even cause death in rare circumstances if not treated.

OMG!!! I have been cracking up at all 4 pages...even the prudes!
Personally I like it when other people learn the hard way for me.

As the phrase goes..."lighten up Francis!"

There are a few posts in this thread that cross the line, but it seems to be coming back around now, so I won't close it.

As for ingesting anything from your tank, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say it's probably not a good idea.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9496509#post9496509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Angel*Fish
Hubris, tell us about dogs and salt water, please :) I didn't know about that. Are you saying just the saltwater will kill them? If so, you're right - that went over my head :lol:

252fluidexchange.GIF

glomerulus.jpg

s8p2.jpg

To oversummarize, animals can't drink salt water because the kidneys can only make urine that is less salty than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the excess salt taken in by drinking salt water, thry have to urinate more water than you drank, so they die of dehydration.

Or, maybe this will help:

water_loss.gif

Here's what to look for if you think it may be a problem:
AMA_Digestive_StomachAndOther_Lev20_PreventingDehydrationDiarrhea_JPP_01.gif

Or in VERY severe cases:
nicole_richie_hospital_visit.jpg

Does that help?

Last edited:
That's interesting, but my recollection of the dog story was that the death appeared to be from a toxin, and was pretty fast. I don't think the poor guy had time to urinate more than he drank!

jds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9497081#post9497081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bngowe
see what else he'll eat haha.. feed him some calupera .

As a matter of fact, various species of Caulerpa are cultured in tidepools for food, especially C. lentillifera and C. racemosa or 'sea grapes'. They are mainly cultured in Indonesia and exported to Japan. I just happen to have some C. racemosa growing in my refugium, and in the name of science, I ate a good portion of it. It was surprisingly tasty, if a little chewy. However, I wouldn't recommend eating too much as it contains Caulerpin, the toxin that makes it unpalatable to fish, which is in fact also a hallucinogen I believe.

Paul

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9498049#post9498049 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aaarrrggg
The aiptasia must have thought it was the infamous JOE in person!
:lol: :rollface: :lol:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! That was almost as funny as watching him eat the anemone :lol: :lol: :lol: :rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9498472#post9498472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hubris007

Does that help?
Yes, thanks - that totally cleared up any questions I had ;) :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back