APC_0243_zps759ztlrx.jpg

IMG_4301_zpsf2memycm.jpg

Frag tank.
APC_0247_zpswouknksz.jpg

And the life support shed.
IMG_4120_zpsyexrmwil.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your tank with us :D

My plan is to remove some of the larger hairy mushroom rocks.

I hear that! Been on a mission to de-hairy mushroom my tank. Talk about invasive! Just don't put them in the garbage can ...... brings new meaning to the 'smell of death'. Fortunately many of mine had settled on removable rocks, so got rid of them outside. Pheeeeweeee.

@slief Can you share a little bit about your automatic frozen food feeder? I have a couple ideas using a mini-freezer and some linear actuators but would love to see what others have come up with too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your tank with us :D
Thank you very much and thank you for this opportunity!

@slief Can you share a little bit about your automatic frozen food feeder? I have a couple ideas using a mini-freezer and some linear actuators but would love to see what others have come up with too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have to thawed frozen feeders on my system.
One I use for coral food and one for baby mysis. The coral food feeder uses a GHL Doser 2 and the baby mysis feeder uses an Apex Dos. Here are a couple videos showing them.

First is the GHL Doser 2 based feeder. Because of the small diameter of the tubing on the Doser 2, you have to be careful about the food you put in it. In my case, coral food and cyclops is what I use in this in addition to being able to dose or feed other stuff if needed or desired. This is also controlled through my Profilux but can be setup as a standalone device without a controller. This one is setup on my frag tank and I use it to feed fish that are in observation in the frag tank and also add some supplemental coral feeding there since this tank is fed from my return pump and doesn't get the benefit of the regular heavy fish feedings that my main display gets.
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4dX2oKNwq_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Next up is the Apex Dos. This has larger diameter tubing and I use it for baby mysis. This one is on the main display and is used for supplemental feedings for the fish.
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kkmuvTREK6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Congrats Scott! Very well deserved! They should award you the reefer of the month as well. Scott always helps me out via pm's with equipment failures and other topics. If there is someone that knows his stuff it's Slief!

Congrats, Scott! Your reef has always been one of my favorites. I look forward to seeing more pics now that you have a real camera.

Congrats, well deserved. It's members like you that keep us all interested.

I have not been around this forum that long but the few threads that I have read I have seen you post on many times. Often with very good advice. The reason that I know this is because of your avatar under your name, I have seen so many times. Now watching your videos about frozen food dosing I can see where that pic came from.

Keep up the excellent work.

Congrats, well deserved. It's members like you that keep us all interested in the hobby.

I have not been around this forum for that long but many of the threads that I have read I've seen you post on them often. Typically they are informative and helpful. I can now say that watching your videos on frozen food feeding and the pics from this thread I can see where your avatar picture came from.

Thanks

Congrats man! Hey thanks so much for taking the time out of your day and answering all my questions in the past. If I ever make it to Cali, I want a tour of this setup!!

Awesome tank. Thanks for sharing. How do you use the apex dos for thawed frozen food dosing and what kind of thawed frozen food? I would like to try that.

Thanks again for the kind words guys! It's very humbling and very much appreciated!

Awesome tank. Thanks for sharing. How do you use the apex dos for thawed frozen food dosing and what kind of thawed frozen food? I would like to try that.

I use it for thawed baby mysis. I typically use the Hikari Mysis cubes and
add some Hikari Spirulina Brine cubes to the mix from time to time. I only put 3 cubes in at a time which is 3 days worth after which I clean and refill the jar. This runs once a day at 1PM and is used for supplemental feeding only. It helps keep fish such as my anthias well fed while I am not home during the day. I use this in conjunction with my AFS which feeds NLS and PE Pellets once a day too for more supplmental feeding. At night I do a big hand feeding.

Hey Scott. It was good working with you through this. I do think it turned out pretty good. I'm glad I was able to get to know you and talk to you while getting this together. Sorry you got involved in another expensive hobby, but it's nice having you over in the photog forum. Kudos and congrats on the beautiful tank and the TOTM for January 2017. :)

Back