Is there a tank made to fit this skimmer? -- (see pix)

GuySmilie

Premium Member
:wavehand: Howdy and thanks for looking!

I'm setting up a system that will have a sump/refugium in addition to the main display tank.
Due to space limitations the sump can be no longer than a glass 20L, which will be divided into three compartments: refugium > return pump > skimmer. I want to use an existing skimmer I have (that must run submerged), but it is almost too big for the little 20L. It will fit nicely long-ways but that takes up valuable real estate. I would prefer it to fit short-ways (as shown here), to allow more room for the refugium area.

skimmer6.jpg

Currently, the 20L inside opening (at the top plastic frame) is 11-1/8", while the inside clearance between the front and back glass is just an rch under 12". The base of the skimmer is 12-9/16" at its widest part.

skimmer9.jpg

I could saw the ends off the base of the skimmer and probably get it to fit, but it would be a snug fit. Looks like the skimmer would then be about 11-1/2" wide if I did that. Yes, I would lose the nice rubber feet but I could get some of those sticky-backed replacement feet to mount elsewhere. :D

skimmer7.jpg

skimmer8.jpg

If the 20L was just a little bit wider I could forego all this drama. However, the maximum width I can fit into the stand would be 14" absolute. I know the best fix would be a custom built acrylic sump, but I'm no longer set up with the shop tools to custom fab one. And the commercial-built units are a bit on the pricey side.

So the question is this: is there a commercially built tank available (which can be compartmentalized) that is 30 x 14 x 12 (or higher)?
Any constructive thoughts or comments are most appreciated.

I've cut off the feet on mine before and had no ill effects, and you could pull them out and glue them back on if needed. But it will still be a very tight fit and if the skimmer is touching any of the side it may be noisy.

I think me and you are doing about the same project here. I just decided to get a new skimmer but I don't think it would hurt anything to cut the base plate. As said above leave yourself a tight fit so it cant move or make it as small as possible so it will not make noise.

What would happen if you removed the pump from that location and ran new plumbing. You could then put the pump where ever you wanted.

I thought about that scenario too. As a matter of fact, when I first placed the skimmer on top of the 20L tank to take some pix, the rubber feet were perfectly situated to make it set securely between the tanks rails. So I thought I could just fab a tube from the skimmer down into the water and problem solved. But if I ran it in that configuration, it would be a hassle getting to the skimmate cup. Could be done, but I would just be cussing its 'unhandy-ness' :)

Yeah, I'm not concerned about actually cutting up the base plate. I'd just rather find a more 'elegant' solution.

Guy, i run a sump fuge with my skimmer made out of two rubbermaid containers connected by bulkheads and tubing. Could you find two wider rubbermaids and connect them? Very cheap to do.

What if you set it sideways was so it is long way. ( you will not have to cut it) then use egg crate to make a removable shelf that slides down in the tank an inch or so. That way the skimmer will be above the water and still have room to remove the cup. If you ever needed into the sump you would just move the skimmer and shelf. It would look something like this.

The purple is egg crate
untitled1111.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9846374#post9846374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaMan03
A ETSS Reef Devil would fit.

Yes that is a very nice skimmer but I think he wants to use the one he already has.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9845251#post9845251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Guy, i run a sump fuge with my skimmer made out of two rubbermaid containers connected by bulkheads and tubing. Could you find two wider rubbermaids and connect them? Very cheap to do.
Yeah luke, I've considered this as well. In fact I even have a small collection of various size Rubbermaid containers on hand for 'engineering purposes' :)
It's still an option and could possibly work OK, but I'm still seeking a reasonably priced and ready-built solution.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9846566#post9846566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rich_1833
What if you set it sideways was so it is long way. ( you will not have to cut it) then use egg crate to make a removable shelf that slides down in the tank an inch or so. That way the skimmer will be above the water and still have room to remove the cup. If you ever needed into the sump you would just move the skimmer and shelf. It would look something like this.

The purple is egg crate
untitled1111.jpg
Hmm, not a bad idea Rich.
Sort of make a contraption to elevate the base high enough to clear the bubble trap and position the skimmer base long-ways to straddle the trap. Your drawing shows the skimmer pump on the wrong side of the trap, but I follow what you meant. Hmmm....have to give this some consideration.

The only negative thing I see right away is it's about the same as just setting the skimmer on the rails as shown above in my pix. And that makes the collection cup unhandy to service.

Do you have a drawing off what you would like to do minus the skimmer. I think we could go grom there.

It looks like you could cut the skimmer down and remount the pump closer to housing to give you even more room. I think if you cut it down to just fit you might have flow issues. IMO

what i do when i want to check for most standard size tank in check the glasscages.com web site my lfs seems to get tanks same size

Last edited:
Well, if I wasn't such a lazy turd, I'd just go get some 1/4" glass cut to the size I need and slap one together and be done with it. The procrastination is due to no longer have access to my work benches and all my tools and equipment are in deep storage for now. It really sucks trying to fabricate stuff on the kitchen counter with a meager collection of basic tools.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9848431#post9848431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rich_1833
Do you have a drawing off what you would like to do minus the skimmer. I think we could go grom there.

Well Rich, it's pretty straightforward from the above pix and commentary. Maybe this will clarify.
Just imagine the skimmer sitting inside the tank (instead of on top of it), orientated just like it's shown here.

sump_config.jpg

Like I said previously, mounting the skimmer in there turned 90° from that shown in the pix will indeed allow it to fit inside the tank. But that profile just takes up too much space in there,and I would have to skimp back on the volume of the refugium; which I do not desire to do.

I still have the option of splitting off the refugium part and making one from a Rubbermaid container setting on top of the return pump area. But I'm just trying to uncomplicate this as much as practical. You know how it is. It gets to be like a Rube Goldberg thing after awhile :D

Back