Is this the exciting future of Live Rock? Must See!!!

d2mini

Premium Member
Hey kids! :wave:
I was witness to something amazing this weekend.
After some begging, I got permission to share with ya'll. This is too crazy not to!

Those of you following my build thread may have seen this post from this weekend...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23807703#post23807703
I picked up a box of colorful goodies from Richard at Tampa Bay Saltwater.
But there was TWO boxes! Surprise! But he wouldn't tell me what it was. Grrrr....
So I get home, open it up and it was.... drum roll please.... More rock. :hmm4:

Ummm, "Hey Richard... what gives? I could use some rock but what's the big deal?"

A little background for those who are not familiar with Tampa Bay Saltwater. TBS has been providing the industry with what I believe is the best Live Rock available for the past 20+ years. With same day shipping via air freight, and shipped in water, his rock arrives with an unreal amount of life. When setting up a tank with "The Package", you end up with a fully functioning reef within days. Truly amazing and worth every penny. Check out his sponsor forum here on RC or my own build threads for tons of pics and testimonials. And on top of all this, TBS is an eco-friendly solution because the rock is brought in by barge and his own boat, dumped into his lease off the coast of Tampa Bay, Florida, and left there to colonize. No destruction of our natural reefs.
Check out www.tbsaltwater.com for more info.

Fast forward to today and the answer to my question above... why this awesome live rock I just received is so special?
I'm sure many of you know or have heard of Walt Smith. Mr Smith has been working for years on developing his own eco-friendly live rock. Check it out here...
http://www.waltsmith.com/Aquaculture/CultLiveRock.htm
Well apparently, these two pioneers in our hobby have joined forces. Walt began shipping his man-made rock to TBS. Richard has been busting his butt, hauling all this rock out on his boat and dumping it into his lease. I'm about to post some pics below and what you are about to see is truly AMAZING. But what's so amazing about what is essentially fake rock? Even Walt Smith has been letting his rock cook in the ocean in Fiji. What make this so special? Well... let's let the pics answer those questions.

Here is the rock in Richard's hands after unpacking, just seconds before dumping into the waters in Tampa Bay.

i-s6dMVXx-L.jpg

i-95K97pt-L.jpg

i-P3N9Nwd-L.jpg

Not too shabby. Lots of nooks and crannies, it comes in all shapes and sizes, and it's a lot lighter than the usual TBS rock. It even has a good base color, straight through the rock, so as coralline begins to grow it looks pretty natural.
But as far as appearances go, not very exciting, is it?

Well... here are pics of what I received this weekend.
I think you will now see why I was scratching my head and was FOOLED into thinking this was just more of his standard live rock that I've been using for years.
And the most amazing part.... this is just TWO MONTHS of growth!
Can you imagine what it will look like after 6 months? Richard has the magic touch!
Not only is this stuff just as amazing as his original rock that we've grown to love, but now it's lighter, comes in a variety of shapes for amazing aquascapes, and it's 100% eco-friendly AND it helps out the Fiji natives.

i-WZ5JTqs.jpg

i-W5nbxSw.jpg

i-bLgsS8k.jpg

i-3mCbx4n.jpg

i-XQpJqwD.jpg

Sponges, tunicates, barnacles, feather dusters, macros.... you name it, it's got it.
There is something about Walt's rock that's letting it colonize at an unheard of rate. It doesn't even look like the same rock!

So that's what I had to share. I'll let Richard fill in the holes and answer questions. Please ask questions, get a good discussion going, share with friends, etc.
We need to stop taking rock from the coral reefs. With rock like this, this is no longer any reason to!
But wow... if any one is looking for truly live rock to start up a new tank or just add to an existing system, you MUST check this out. You will not be disappointed. If you liked TBS rock before, you are really going to love this stuff. I was floored.
And for what it's worth, I added these 5 or 6 pieces to my system this weekend. Straight out of the boxes/bags and into my tank and it hasn't skipped a beat. With TBS, his rock is going straight from the real ocean to your ocean which is what makes it so great.
And even if you don't want to start a tank with live rock for whatever reason, TBS now sells dry and live Pukani. But the Pukani is not getting colonized at anywhere near the rate that this Walt Smith rock is!

More pics coming....

I was out with Richard a couple weeks ago and he said that life just clings to the man made rock much faster than the natural harvested rock. I imagine it's because the quality is just as good (Held and saw it with my own hands and eyes) and because there is no PO4 being leached out of the rock. I was going to use the Pukani he got, but now after seeing your pics, I'm on the fence. I may just go with the man made. Looks great!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vw37ncSW_MA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow.. That is amazing! That rock looks as good as any live rock I've ever seen. My tank is packed with Walt Smith live rock that got nearly 20 years ago directly from his So. Cal facility (when he had it) and I don't remember that rock ever looking as good as the stuff you pictured above. If I ever re-do my aquascape, this will certainly be the way I would go.

Wow.. That is amazing! That rock looks as good as any live rock I've ever seen. My tank is packed with Walt Smith live rock that got nearly 20 years ago directly from his So. Cal facility (when he had it) and I don't remember that rock ever looking as good as the stuff you pictured above. If I ever re-do my aquascape, this will certainly be the way I would go.

Right?!
And just think... this is after only 2 months!
Imagine what it will look like in 6.

I don't think Walt or Richard expected this. I know Richard is super excited.

Have thre been anh tests done on nutrients/chemicals/whatnot that leach from the rock when its ready to be put into the holding bay?

You hit it on the head. This rock surpasses any true live rock that is available today or in past history of the cultured live rock industry.

Remember back in the 80's when were were collecting natural live rock here in Florida , it was the most amazing rock the industry had to offer. The reason being rock grows here with more life than anywhere on the planet. That is why I picked the area off Tarpon Springs for the aquaculture site.

I and others tried growing it in other locations, but nowhere produced as good a live rock that grows off of Tarpon. The rock does not grow anywhere as fast or with so many different life forms. We are just blessed with the perfect environment for growing live rock here.

Was just out loading the boat with another 3250 pounds of Walts rock in 93 degree heat....got to figure out how to air condition the boat LOL....

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Last edited by a moderator:
How does this man made rock respond to drilling?
Using Marco rocks I had to drill slowly & carefully when making holes for acrylic rods (to combine several rocks into larger, more stable pieces), and to have places to mount frags. I still had several pieces crack and even shatter when going very slow.

How does this man made rock respond to drilling?
Using Marco rocks I had to drill slowly & carefully when making holes for acrylic rods (to combine several rocks into larger, more stable pieces), and to have places to mount frags. I still had several pieces crack and even shatter when going very slow.

Can't tell you as I have never drilled a rock.....in 40 years of doing this....but I think you will find that due to the way the rock is shaped, it fits together like legos and you would not find a need to drill it. The are plenty of nooks and crannies and each rock is different for placement of frags..building structure......ect. You will see amazing shapes when I start harvesting it.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :spin1::spin1::spin1:

Awesome.

I have to admit, i wasn't impressed with the before photos. The after are amazing.

I have been making my own rock every weekend and experimenting some. It is definitely a process of experimentation to get your mix correct, and then after that, to get various casting techniques down.

If everyone made some man made rock and cycled it the correct way, even if everyone in the hobby could make 5 pounds a month, we would never have need for natural reef rock ever again in this hobby.

I have been making batches every weekend because i enjoy it.

I will be breaking down the 300g FOWLR stock tank soon, and be useing it as the last holding container in my curing process.

My plan is to offer it to local reefers free of charge eventually, of course i would accept donations or trades to help offset some of the costs of making the rock.

I know a lot of us have space/financial/time restrictions, but if each of us took a harder look at how we could positively impact the hobby in our free time, a lot of the issues associated with the reef keeping hobby would become extinct.

Dammit Dennis, just when I thought I was set to put the finishing touches on my current project!! :)

I have GOT to get in on this. The 'before' pics, yea, blah, but after - incredible. I think I am going to be scrapping my current rock project and going with this stuff for my desktop system. Perfect timing too - my salt arrives this week!

No fed ex or UPS

No fed ex or UPS

OK...getting many messages about how much to ship to my zip code...

This is real live rock that is shipped underwater and cannot be sent via fed ex or ups...you read all the time how some folks get their live rock delivered via ground service wrapped in wet newspapers and experience dead loss and stressed out live rock..death....and curing..... That is not what this rock is about. This is real live rock that comes to you alive and happily shipped underwater and is added directly to your tank with no issues, every time, no curing no fuss no muss.

Most folks I ship The Package to
http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/index.html
never even get an ammonia spike and have a cycled tank in a week.
http://tbsaltwater.com/testimonials/index.html
I ship via the airlines to your airport. This insures a fast and timely shipment, usually same day to your airport. I pack it in the morning and you pick it up after work. You can safely add this rock to an existing cycled tank with no issues.

Pick up is easy, I supply the shipping info...and you just back up to the air cargo building load your boxes and off you go. It is not where you go as a passenger, the freight facility is in a different location, usually. Is quick, painless and insures you have the best quality live rock on the planet!

And....for weight estimate, for live rock only you can double the amount of rock ordered for an estimate on total weigh with water on it. IE fifty pounds of rock will weigh about ninety pounds with the water on it and be shipped in two boxes 17.17.10 inches. All the airlines are at about $90 per 100 pounds shipping charge. I pack 20-25 pounds per box of rock.

If ordering a Package, triple the size of the Package for weight estimate on part one, and a little less on part two as you won't have the live sand weight. IE a 30 gallon Package will weigh about ninety pounds part one...and little less on part two.

more shipping info here

http://tbsaltwater.com/ordering/shipping.html

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :spin3::spin3::spin3:

Last edited:
Back