JBJ 12 gallon build

I am finding extremely high MG? Ca and Alk not so much at least to my needs now a days. Well it's more just trying to figure out if we are staying here or moving down south. Regardless I have already started sketching up and designing my new tank. 40 Breeder drilled, 20 Long sump, return pump mag7, skimmer eshopps psk-100, lighting 6 T5HO with dual LED strips for daylight, and moonlights.

Sounds good. It's always a good idea to plan. I've always been too cheap and impulsive to really think through my builds, but I've gained a lot of knowledge and experience from that.

How high is high? People run their MG at around 2100 when trying to fight hair algae outbreaks, and in the 1600s-1700s regularly.

my mag is easily at 1800 right now as I am raising it again to fight bryopsis... many tanks can handle high mag without too much of an issue so long as it is not a sudden spike.

Ook it was slowly dropping but it's right around 1600. I did a wc of Red Sea coral pro salt and my mag jumped a little bit. My shortcake acro started to mat down on the lr.

nice looking tank!

I have the same 12 gal nano.

What color is the hammer coral? I might have to get one myself now. It looks good in your tank.

Picked up a favia this weekend, my girlfriend fell in love with it at the shop. I am thinking about going with either an Aqua illumination or reefbreeders LED light for my new 40 gallon tank. I am going to be order a tunze 6040 to mount behind the rock work, and I think with the new tank I am going to mount a tunze with the rock mount.

So my dad has been secretly researching how to build an acrylic tank. We are starting to build my new setup this week. Since we are building everything my tank sizes have changed from a 40breeder to a serious 100 gallon display. Dimensions: 40"x30"x20" i wanted the deep tank to allow for unique aquascaping. Sump will be separate of the fuge. My biggest concern at this time is lighting. I would like to get away with two fixtures. Thinking Aqua illumination, not sure the fixtures yet.

Soulpatch- he isn't just building me a tank. We are building the whole setup together. I have an amazing family and I am so grateful that I have a father that is so skilled and willing to spend the time to build this project. It's not like I am just giving him the dimensions and telling him to build it haha.

You aren't from West Chester, PA are you? Would be interesting if we were neighbors. LOL

Enjoy those times with your pop. Been there many a times with mine doing everything from building a deck to framing out an addition to his house. All good times.

I am man! I graduated from Unionville in 08' and now live right outside of town by the hospital. I'm at Aquarium specialties all the time.

Ha so am I so we probably have bumped into one another. There are days I talk to Mike more then I talk to my own wife and kid whether in person or on FB chat. HA HA

I live in Downingtown.

Though I graduated college before you entered high school back in 04.

Man now I need to come over and get your dad to build me a tank too. I will bring tools and beer.

Also not sure if you saw my other thead about reefapalooza in June but I am going up on that Saturday. I have since switched mindset that I believe I am going to drive. I think I will have my cousin with me as well but if you want a ride let me know.

We probably have, I'm the young Asian guy. I'm sure if you provide the acrylic we could figure something out! I appreciate the invite, but June I am so busy. I have a wedding, a fly fishing trip, and a HPDE up at Watkins Glen for two days.

How do you like your gyre? I am planning my flow patterns for my new display. The gyre has been up in the air.

Cool about Watkins Glenn. I assume car.

I am typically away most weekends in the summer at motorcycle track days at various tracks. Not getting out too much this year though as I am doing home remodels which are sucking up my budget.

I really like the gyre. I have a video on youtube covering it and the link is in my build thread. Been pretty darn impressed with it this far. Cleaning it is a bit of a pain but not really something I would consider a complaint as most things in this hobby is a pain to clean.

Yup! Well my girlfriend says its for the "beautiful parks" but screw that I'm there for the track. I drive with the Audi Club, our RS5 was destroyed by the dealership so we got rid of that. I'm just using a track prepped Audi 90 and a 12' GTI this summer. We may have our C7 Z06 in time for the fall track days. That takes some balls man, I have no trouble blasting around on the track. But watching guys on bikes blast around is terrifying to me! My friends boyfriend races bikes, he was talking to me and it was just crazy.

When I get everything setup man you should stop by and check it out.

yeah when you wreck at 100+ in a car it sucks but isnt too bad. I went down at NJMP 2 summers ago around 120 pulling through the tail end of the chicane there. I was full throttle coming out when I hit a bump in the track and lost the rear end. I was hot passing someone and didnt have room for too much error on the shock. That bump dumped me and I can say summersaulting for a couple hundred yards hurts.... LOL. Sadly I was much more damaged then my bike ended up as which is the opposite typically when you race cars on the track.

Yeah I would love to come by and check it out when you are up and running. Hopefully by that time I should have some frags ready to get rid of and can start your stocking for the larger tank...

I couldn't even imagine man, we rolled a rally prepped sti a few years ago when I was still in college. We where going about 100mph and I was sore. I couldn't imagine putting down a bike at that speed.

Sounds good! I am taking my time on this build I want it to be my display for years to come. Luckily my girlfriend is getting interested in the hobby.

4/30/2015 had some minor fluctuations with alk uptake. I got that figured out, my tank is being dosed with 1.5ml of part B to keep alk at 9 DKH and 0.5ml every other day of part A to maintain calcium at 460ppm.

I am torn between a hydor ATO (LFS stocks them) or Tunze Nano Osmolator (LFS doesn't carry them but I like the tunze products). Anyone have any experience with either?!

Back