JCole's big ol box of Acro's

I checked the cameras at work today and noticed the tank. The shipping company was supposed to call and set up a time for delivery but instead just dropped it in my driveway. I ran home to get it covered from the sun and with the help of some awesome neighbors I was able to get it into the garage. Ended up working out better though because I only had to move it 5'. It was pretty light. So glad I went with acrylic. It looks great! I am going to fill it up tomorrow to inspect for leaks, etc.

20220803_150934.jpg
20220803_170149.jpg
20220803_170154.jpg
20220803_170702.jpg

Spent the day yesterday moving everything over to the 300 sump in the garage. Next weekend I will hopefully have the old tank out and start on prepping the room.
Disregard the wiring. I threw things together late last night.

20220807_212651.jpg
Resized_20220807_105535 (1).jpeg
20220807_145259.jpg
20220807_145324.jpg

20220807_145447.jpg

Busy weekend and glad to have a little rest now. Removed all old plumbing and moved Apex, etc to the closet. Patched holes and created a dust storm from sanding so much. Painted the room and primed the floor.

Second coat of primer goes on tomorrow and then starting the Epoxy Wednesday or Thursday.

20220821_130934.jpg
20220821_195921.jpg

After months and months of stressing about what is going on with the tank, I think I finally figured it out(or at least I am on the right track for recovery).

I made some changes between Jan-March like adding Kalkwasser, changing Coral+ T5 bulbs to Aquablue Special, Running GAC, etc. However, I have used all of these over the years without the issues with Acro's like I experienced. I was at a loss for words as nothing I did should have caused what was taking place.

Out of nowhere 80%+ of my Acro's lost their color and either turned pale or browned out. Shortly afterward my nutrients shot up to a level I have never experienced before. Usually, my No3 is around 5-10ppm and Po4 is 0.03-0.09. After the loss of colors, my No3 shot up to 75ppm and Po4 to 0.35ppm. Months went by and the colors never came back and corals continued to decline and then started to STN one by one.

One thing I did a couple of weeks before the color issue was I removed the UV sterilizer because it started to leak and I planned on getting a new one with the new build anyways.

This is why I think I know what is going on. I believe I have a bad bacteria/pathogen in my system and the UV sterilizer was keeping it in check. Once I removed the sterilizer then it allowed the bacteria to take hold.

The reason why I am coming to this conclusion is I started to dose Cipro daily starting on 08/24 and so far I have seen positive improvements. STN seems to have stopped, Calcium demand is going up and the most obvious is my pH has improved big time. I could not get passed 8 for a LONG time. Well, see below. I hit 8.16 for the last two days.

Daily swings since 08/24

chart (1).png

This is just a theory but something I have been thinking about and discussing with others. Aquabiomics is finding bad bacteria like Arcobacter, etc in tanks. I feel that over the last couple of years of increased growth with new hobbyists and especially the Frag game that has most hobbyists selling corals it is allowing bad bacteria strains to pass around to others. This could also explain the increase in ALOT of STN/RTN I seem to see daily on forum posts.

I am thinking there are bad bacteria/pathogens in our tanks that lay dormant like some viruses such as Herpes, Malaria, HIV, Salmonella, Streptococci, etc. Maybe the Pathogen is being passed around to hobbyists and not showing itself in the tank until something stresses the system out. Or, maybe someone has the pathogen and doesn't even know it because their tank doesn't allow it to thrive. They pass it to someone else via frags, etc and the pathogens' new host now has an environment that allows it to thrive. Mine might be an example by removing the UV sterilizer.

I sent off a sample to Aquabiomics two weeks ago before dosing with Cipro. I am curious to see what it comes back with. I will update when I receive the results.

This is a theory and just something I am thinking about. I could be completely wrong but so far, the results of dosing Cirpo have been promising.

I am not promoting anything and not telling anybody to turn to Antibiotics but there might be something to this. If everything else fails then this might be a good solution.

After months and months of stressing about what is going on with the tank, I think I finally figured it out(or at least I am on the right track for recovery).

I made some changes between Jan-March like adding Kalkwasser, changing Coral+ T5 bulbs to Aquablue Special, Running GAC, etc. However, I have used all of these over the years without the issues with Acro's like I experienced. I was at a loss for words as nothing I did should have caused what was taking place.

Out of nowhere 80%+ of my Acro's lost their color and either turned pale or browned out. Shortly afterward my nutrients shot up to a level I have never experienced before. Usually, my No3 is around 5-10ppm and Po4 is 0.03-0.09. After the loss of colors, my No3 shot up to 75ppm and Po4 to 0.35ppm. Months went by and the colors never came back and corals continued to decline and then started to STN one by one.

One thing I did a couple of weeks before the color issue was I removed the UV sterilizer because it started to leak and I planned on getting a new one with the new build anyways.

This is why I think I know what is going on. I believe I have a bad bacteria/pathogen in my system and the UV sterilizer was keeping it in check. Once I removed the sterilizer then it allowed the bacteria to take hold.

The reason why I am coming to this conclusion is I started to dose Cipro daily starting on 08/24 and so far I have seen positive improvements. STN seems to have stopped, Calcium demand is going up and the most obvious is my pH has improved big time. I could not get passed 8 for a LONG time. Well, see below. I hit 8.16 for the last two days.

Daily swings since 08/24

chart (1).png

This is just a theory but something I have been thinking about and discussing with others. Aquabiomics is finding bad bacteria like Arcobacter, etc in tanks. I feel that over the last couple of years of increased growth with new hobbyists and especially the Frag game that has most hobbyists selling corals it is allowing bad bacteria strains to pass around to others. This could also explain the increase in ALOT of STN/RTN I seem to see daily on forum posts.

I am thinking there are bad bacteria/pathogens in our tanks that lay dormant like some viruses such as Herpes, Malaria, HIV, Salmonella, Streptococci, etc. Maybe the Pathogen is being passed around to hobbyists and not showing itself in the tank until something stresses the system out. Or, maybe someone has the pathogen and doesn't even know it because their tank doesn't allow it to thrive. They pass it to someone else via frags, etc and the pathogens' new host now has an environment that allows it to thrive. Mine might be an example by removing the UV sterilizer.

I sent off a sample to Aquabiomics two weeks ago before dosing with Cipro. I am curious to see what it comes back with. I will update when I receive the results.

This is a theory and just something I am thinking about. I could be completely wrong but so far, the results of dosing Cirpo have been promising.

I am not promoting anything and not telling anybody to turn to Antibiotics but there might be something to this. If everything else fails then this might be a good solution.

That's an interesting thought. I'd be inclined to throw that out to Jake Adams and Marck Van der Wahl at ReefTherapy for a potential discussion.

Hope the project is coming along nicely for you!

I'm interested to see what they find.

That's an interesting thought. I'd be inclined to throw that out to Jake Adams and Marck Van der Wahl at ReefTherapy for a potential discussion.

Hope the project is coming along nicely for you!

I did hear them say a couple months ago that they have been using an antibiotic as a profalactic dip but wouldn't say what it was. Would be interesting to see what they thought of Cipro.

I decided to stick my dehumidifier in the room and the stand is drying out nicely. At this rate the stand should be dry enough to paint this weekend.

Working on plumbing and I am halfway there. It is taking longer than expected due to chamfering and sanding each pipe. In the end it will be worth it though. Hopefully I will be finished with plumbing by the end of the week.

20220906_221012.jpg

My wife was sitting in the room yesterday and she said "OMG, I just realized how crazy my husband is" 🤣

Last edited:
Back