JCole's big ol box of Acro's

Wow your pattern is super consistent. This week I've been off and my wife has a mix of home work and in the office so the result in not a sinewave like yours. Weather's been great this week so windows open. You could consider becoming evening showerers. 😀

View attachment 32374107

I wish mine was like that. I would take 8.20-8.30 all day long!!

It's tough because I have 3 boys and they are all homeschooled by my Wife so I have 4 humans and a dog home the majority of the day. It is difficult to maintain a high pH as it is. Throw a water heater in the mix and it goes down real fast!

Most of the family showers at night so maybe I need to get with the program 🤣

It's tough because I have 3 boys and they are all homeschooled by my Wife so I have 4 humans and a dog home the majority of the day. It is difficult to maintain a high pH as it is.
That's a big challenge right there and if you have an airtight house even worse. We're in a 50's house that the wind blows through. :rolleyes:

We got the tank in today! Will need to buff out some minor scratches and residue from the protective paper but it turned out great!

20220918_172555.jpg
20220918_172616.jpg
20220918_172635.jpg

Anyone have any tips on buffing acrylic? I need to buff out some minor scratches, haze, and residue from the protective paper.

Last edited:
Found a good source for my lower pH issues. After Cipro, I am able to monitor pH better. Things such as fresh air, etc actually help and make a difference with the pH now. I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my pH will drop randomly all of sudden and I found the source.

The water heater is in the garage with the sumps, etc. When the fire kicks on to heat the tank it must be putting off an excessive amount of CO2 and leaking out into the garage. My pH dipped a full .10 this morning while taking a shower. I have a dilemma. Either fix this issue or stop taking showers.....

1663339644888.png

Well this would explain a pH drop. I installed a CO2 monitor and tested. Normal levels around 400. Once I turn on hot water and the heater kicks on then CO2 causes the meter to go into Overload. The exhaust fan is pulling fresh air from the exhaust pipe and bringing CO2 into the garage. Once I turn the exhaust fan off then the CO2 drops back down to normal levels. I will keep the fan off for now and see what happens to the pH for the next week.

Cool to see the pH drop like this on the Apex and be able to correct the issue.

Well this would explain a pH drop. I installed a CO2 monitor and tested. Normal levels around 400. Once I turn on hot water and the heater kicks on then CO2 causes the meter to go into Overload. The exhaust fan is pulling fresh air from the exhaust pipe and bringing CO2 into the garage. Once I turn the exhaust fan off then the CO2 drops back down to normal levels. I will keep the fan off for now and see what happens to the pH for the next week.

Cool to see the pH drop like this on the Apex and be able to correct the issue.
Excellent sleuthing, High PH will be yours, oh yes it will.

Excellent sleuthing, High PH will be yours, oh yes it will.

I am glad this happened because if something happened to the water heater then I could have pulled in Carbon Monoxide without even knowing it.

I think what I will try is to create another opening on the other side of the garage to keep a draft going and see if this prevents back pressure. If that doesn't work then I will put the fan in time out for awhile.

I am glad this happened because if something happened to the water heater then I could have pulled in Carbon Monoxide without even knowing it.

I think what I will try is to create another opening on the other side of the garage to keep a draft going and see if this prevents back pressure. If that doesn't work then I will put the fan in time out for awhile.
I considered suggesting reversing the fan but if your current setup can produce negative pressure in the garage then reversing would surely produce positive pressure and who knows where the exhaust would go then. Obviously your garage is a pretty tight envelope (Matt Risinger would be proud!) so your idea of an extra opening is the best option. Makes sense the air the fan moves has to come from somewhere...

I considered suggesting reversing the fan but if your current setup can produce negative pressure in the garage then reversing would surely produce positive pressure and who knows where the exhaust would go then. Obviously your garage is a pretty tight envelope (Matt Risinger would be proud!) so your idea of an extra opening is the best option. Makes sense the air the fan moves has to come from somewhere...

That was my thought as well. If I reverse the fan then it could push it into the house which wouldn't be good.

I will run a test tonight by cracking my garage door. If that works then I will cut a new hole for pressure relief. If not, then I will just leave the exhaust fan off and only save it for emergencies.

Anyone have any good links to videos, pictures, threads, etc for large canopy builds? The canopy has been the one thing that I am not confident with right now as I don't have a complete plan on what I want to do.

I am tossing around the idea of using aluminum and skinning it, keeping the top open for heat, etc. Just looking for ideas.

Anyone have any good links to videos, pictures, threads, etc for large canopy builds? The canopy has been the one thing that I am not confident with right now as I don't have a complete plan on what I want to do.

I am tossing around the idea of using aluminum and skinning it, keeping the top open for heat, etc. Just looking for ideas.
This basic aluminum frame idea would be strong and lightweight. Skinnable? Maybe.

Calling Halide t5 gurus!

20210418_183446-jpg.2371473

Did you get the lab results yet?

Yes, I did a couple of days ago. See attached. Although they say no coral pathogens were found and it appears normal, I do notice a high level of Oceanospirillaceae bacteria.

I did some searching on all of the different bacteria found and the only thing I found of some importance was the Oceanospirillaceae.

1664399027986.png

I did an extensive search today and found a link for a really good paper on Bacterial Communities Associated with Healthy and Diseased Acropora cervicornis. In the paper I noticed in the diseased corals they found high levels of Oceanospirillaceae within the Gammaproteobacteria family/category, I believe.

https://nsuworks.nova.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1453&context=occ_stuetd

I noticed these references on pages 47, 95, 96, and 102.

I am no expert in this and could be 100% wrong. Could be something to it or nothing at all but I do think it's worth noting though.

Attachments

• document (46).pdf
    252.2 KB · Views: 7
Back