Jebao DCP return pump?

I found that flow meters significantly reduce the flow of these pumps. I have a DCS 7000 connected to a 1" flowmeter with maybe 3 feet of head and the max I can get is about 780GPH plus or minus 5%. It should be closer to 1200GPH without the flowmeter.

Or its capacity is way overestimated by Jebao.

I replaced a Tunze 1073.040 with a DCP-10000 and with the controller set to only 51W I am getting quite a bit higher flow with it compared to the tunze. I have no idea how much head pressure I have though, probably a lot because I only have a 1/2" return due to bulkhead size. Noise level is about the same, different however with the Jaebo making a bit more of a high pitched wine compared to the Tunze low pitched rumble. Both are quiet.

Last edited:
This thread is about DCP model, which is the third generation of the pump and runs dead silent. On my DCP 5000, I know it is putting out the flow as specified using 3/4” pvc. I like the DCP series pump and highly recommend it. I believe someone here on RC tested and confirmed the higher model pump can pump water 20 feet high as per spec with video to prove it.

This thread is about DCP model, which is the third generation of the pump and runs dead silent. On my DCP 5000, I know it is putting out the flow as specified using 3/4" pvc. I like the DCP series pump and highly recommend it. I believe someone here on RC tested and confirmed the higher model pump can pump water 20 feet high as per spec with video to prove it.

Sweet, I'm down. Just ordered the dcp 10000 for 9' head application.

I can always go back to 190W if need be.

if this works out I may replace my Iwaki md 15 which is too much for my calcium reactor circ pump. maybe do a DC 2000 dialed back 1/2" application

The pipe size used is a major factor in the amount of flow. The larger the pipe diameter, the less work the pump has to do to generate the same amount of flow.

unlike AC pump, which lowers flow as you restrict the pipe size, DC pump can still increase flow by increasing the power.
I initially used 1/2" pipe and got the flow I want, about 500gph. Then switched to 3/4" pipe and can see the pump runs at a lower power to generate the same flow.

The pipe size used is a major factor in the amount of flow. The larger the pipe diameter, the less work the pump has to do to generate the same amount of flow.

unlike AC pump, which lowers flow as you restrict the pipe size, DC pump can still increase flow by increasing the power.
I initially used 1/2" pipe and got the flow I want, about 500gph. Then switched to 3/4" pipe and can see the pump runs at a lower power to generate the same flow.

I have all 1" but ill be taking out 2 X 90 degree bends and 3' of lateral pipe.

I may make or order a 120 degree 1" Y ,, they are not easy to find instead of a T fitting I have now up higher as explained below.

The 1" goes through the floor and up a 2' into a T with 2 3/4" pipes delivering to each side of the tank. May only slow it down a hair.

Or its capacity is way overestimated by Jebao.

This is certainly not the case. If you ever looked into one of the flowmeters you will see just how restrictive they are.

I have used these pumps without flowmeters before and they are very powerful and come pretty close to their ratings.

Last edited:
This is certainly not the case. If you ever looked into one of the flowmeters you will see just how restrictive they are.

I have used these pumps without flowmeters before and they are very powerful and are come pretty close to their ratings.

I have this pump and 5 flow meters. There is no way for a flow sensor not to restrict the flow but I have doubted the estimates as
well. Also, I have never seen anybody confirming the flow ratings as, of course, it's tough to do that without a flow meter.

can you confirm you are using DCP pump (and not DCS/DCT/DC) and show your test configuration.

The way another RC person tested is using a pvc pipe going straight up a certain length. I think the pvc size is the max size that fits the pump (I think 1 1/2" if I am not mistaken). Of course anything added like elbow, smaller diameter pipe, etc. adds to the head height. Even horizontal run of pipe adds to head height due to friction loss.

Last edited:
This thread is about DCP model, which is the third generation of the pump and runs dead silent. On my DCP 5000, I know it is putting out the flow as specified using 3/4” pvc. I like the DCP series pump and highly recommend it. I believe someone here on RC tested and confirmed the higher model pump can pump water 20 feet high as per spec with video to prove it.

Sorry, typo. I have the DCP not DCS. I will edit my post. The intent of my earlier typo'd post is to say that I am happy with it so far.

I have this pump and 5 flow meters. There is no way for a flow sensor not to restrict the flow but I have doubted the estimates as
well. Also, I have never seen anybody confirming the flow ratings as, of course, it's tough to do that without a flow meter.

I'm just using logical assumptions is all. Based on that I think their ratings are fairly accurate is all am I saying.

I'm just using logical assumptions is all. Based on that I think their ratings are fairly accurate is all am I saying.

And I don't know if they are not. I like the pump but Chinese companies are notorious for false claims. I would be happy to see some evidence one way or another. Capacity and head pressure specs are related but not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There was a major fiasco with tunze several years back where ecotech published a study showing tunze claims for flow is over rated. tunze never denied it.

I would be happy to see some evidence one way or another.

I can measure with a 5 gallon bucket and get an accurate gpm rating with no flow meter.

Anyone can measure with a 1 gallon bucket and get a gpm number.

1 sec is 60gpm
2 seconds is 30gpm
3 sec is 20gpm
4 seconds is 15gpm
5 seconds 12gpm
6 is 10

I can measure with a 5 gallon bucket and get an accurate gpm rating with no flow meter.

Anyone can measure with a 1 gallon bucket and get a gpm number.

1 sec is 60gpm
2 seconds is 30gpm
3 sec is 20gpm
4 seconds is 15gpm
5 seconds 12gpm
6 is 10

Agreed. There are a number of ways to get a pretty close estimate of head pressure and flow rate without using a flow meter. I can tell you my DCP-7000 hits approximately 1200GPH with 3 feet of head at 100% power. Those numbers are good enough for me.

If you need tons of flow with a high head, DC pump is probably not going to be a good choice regardless of what they are rated for.

Agreed. There are a number of ways to get a pretty close estimate of head pressure and flow rate without using a flow meter. I can tell you my DCP-7000 hits approximately 1200GPH with 3 feet of head at 100% power. Those numbers are good enough for me.

If you need tons of flow with a high head, DC pump is probably not going to be a good choice regardless of what they are rated for.

ok, I think you are mistaking DCS with DCP.
There is no DCP 7000, but there is DCS 7000.

when you say 3 feet, if you are not using the widest diameter supported by the pump output, then you need to add the corresponding head loss to your calculations.

I only need enough return to run my ATS. so the 10000 at 9' should be plenty with cleaning up my loop

ok, I think you are mistaking DCS with DCP.
There is no DCP 7000, but there is DCS 7000.

when you say 3 feet, if you are not using the widest diameter supported by the pump output, then you need to add the corresponding head loss to your calculations.

I'm using 3/4" pipe for my output. I added some headloss for reducing fittings and such. Yes sorry I meant to say DCS-7000. My pump is dead silent as well. This is on a 40 gallon tank.

I just got my dcp 10,000. Hooked it up in the sink and it went down to 10W and up no problem.

Hopefully I wont have to run it on full 80W with 8' of head pressure and needing 750gpm.

Back