JohnL's 20 Gallon Nano Reef

Jack Blenny posing
20230324_153057_copy_1727x1742.jpg

What a great photo. The tank appears to be very mature. Wonder if the initial STN issue was one bad coral that infected the rest?

What a great photo. The tank appears to be very mature. Wonder if the initial STN issue was one bad coral that infected the rest?
Thanks. I'm not sure. They were bought at the same time from same lfs. @mellotang thinks it may have been lack of flow from leaving them in a frag plug rack on the side of the tank for too long.

Hey @JohnL is that leather a Sarcophyton spp? I just stumbled on this thread that says they are highly allelopathic towards stony corals. Something to consider and your water volume is not large. Take note of tdwyatt's posts in this thread:

What softies affect SPS?

Hey @JohnL is that leather a Sarcophyton spp? I just stumbled on this thread that says they are highly allelopathic towards stony corals. Something to consider and your water volume is not large. Take note of tdwyatt's posts in this thread:

What softies affect SPS?
I believe it is. It was a freebie from Gerald at IPSF. I actually was thinking about the possibility of it creating a problem. Thanks for the reference. I had Borneman's book when it came out. Perhaps I should remove the coral.

First, I’m going to borrow a line from @Misled you kids get off my lawn. That said😂. Back into the day, I had Sarcos with all kinds of sps with no ill effects. But that was with a Bob Goemens NNR system in a 200 gallon reef with 55 gallon sump and 30 gallon fuge (before fuges were in).

Another important consideration when keeping Sarcophyton corals is that they’re among the more noxious “chemical warriors” that we keep in reef tanks. Releasing chemicals into the water is a way for these corals to fend off neighboring corals so they don’t encroach on their real estate. In the closed system of an aquarium, these chemicals can cause problems with coral tankmates. So, if you notice “unexplainable” issues with other coral livestock—such as refusing to open or outright dying despite seemingly good water conditions, current, lighting, etc.—the Sarcophyton may very well be the culprit.

What softies affect SPS?

I believe it is. It was a freebie from Gerald at IPSF. I actually was thinking about the possibility of it creating a problem. Thanks for the reference. I had Borneman's book when it came out. Perhaps I should remove the coral.

@mellotang what do you think? Do you have a good home for this coral?

Back