Just curious, what's this BCHC worth if I were to sell it?

JDM_SOHC

So I've had this bicolored hammer colony for about three years, and it's well over 60+ heads but it's getting too big for my 55g tank and I'm thinking of either A. listing the whole thing for sale, or B. fragging it down and selling it per head..

It's the large one in the center of the tank in this image..

My only dilemma, what kind of asking price should I post it for if I sell it as a whole, and than if I frag it down?? I thought of doing like $7.50/head for the whole thing which would be around $400, or I could just frag it down to 2-3 head frags and do like $30/ea. but figured I'd ask here first to see if I'm accurate on pricing..

Thank you..

Attachments

• hammer coral.jpg
    hammer coral.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
$30 for 3-5 heads seems to be the going price in my neck of the woods.

Ok cool, so I'm not too far off than.. I guess that averages out to around $7.50/head, I was thinking $10 but maybe I'll put $10 and just anticipate the lowballers to throw me some offers haha..

I would probably just sell the coral for $100 and be done with it. Maybe save a small frag for myself though. Four hundred dollars is a lot of money to be spending on a coral like this IMO and it's going to take quite a bit of time & effort to frag the coral and then sell the pieces off one by one. I just don't have the patience for that.

Not sure you're going to find anyone willing to drop $400 on a hammer. Plus, most people will have same problem you do - it's too big! Agree that you should frag it.

just anticipate the lowballers to throw me some offers

People always think their stuff is worth more than they'd pay for somebody elses :). I am constantly amazed at how high folks list their used stuff .... and when you make a reasonable offer you're a 'lowballer' :(

Nice hammer though .... would you take $25 for the whole thing? :lol:

I was being slightly hypothetical with selling the whole thing, as I highly doubt anyone would fork over $400, but again that's the reason for this post as I really have no idea what to sell it for..

I appreciate the feedback from you guys.. Seems like making some smaller 4-5 head frags would be my best bet..

Frag it. If you want to sell faster do $60 for 10 heads or something like that. It will takes longer to sell 3 heads frag.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Or even sell different sizes with prices. If the small ones sell better/quicker then you can frag the bigger ones down smaller later.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Maybe a LFS would take a bulk set of 5-headed frags from you. Say maybe at 1/3 -1/2 retail price for store credit.

Unless you have a super rare coral or collectable coral, the first few polyps might be worth $10 a head, but after 5 heads, they are worth $1 or nothing.

You will definitely make more money fragging it up. Big colonies are often far harder to sell. If you do 5 head colonies for $25 you ought to be able to sell through it pretty quickly and you'll clear more than you would selling it as a whole. A lot of stores sell for $10 a head.

Back