just getting recommendations on new tank build

oceanlife83

I am building a 240 gallon tank up. It will be slow as wife is making me hold off on most until after christmas. I am open for recommendations on what people think or suggest/has had good success with on the equipment. Equipment I am in question on is ...skimmer, return pump, lighting, may be some more later,
1. Skimmer thinking about the Skimz Monster Skimmer 161 e-series skimmer
2. Led lighting just not sure yet....
3. return pump don't know I have a mag drive 12 on my 120 right now and have had nothing but great success with it. I am wanting something little more energy efficient..
4. Will definitely have a controller of some kind on this tank.. probably Neptune Apex.

I am building a 240 gallon tank up. It will be slow as wife is making me hold off on most until after christmas. I am open for recommendations on what people think or suggest/has had good success with on the equipment. Equipment I am in question on is ...skimmer, return pump, lighting, may be some more later,
1. Skimmer thinking about the Skimz Monster Skimmer 161 e-series skimmer
2. Led lighting just not sure yet....
3. return pump don't know I have a mag drive 12 on my 120 right now and have had nothing but great success with it. I am wanting something little more energy efficient..
4. Will definitely have a controller of some kind on this tank.. probably Neptune Apex.

nice, whats the budget like? tight? or loosey goosey?

Well it will be a work in progress. As of right now little right. I will have to save up to get exactly things I want but open to suggestions and if I run across excellent deal hey who knows may just have to jump on it.

well, i am the personality type that tried buying cheap to save money, but ended up buying the best later on anyway. IE i wasted a lot of money on the garbage equipment.

I think the first step is figuring out what you want to keep. FOWLR or a reef tank, if reef what is the predominant coral? Once you know the corals you want to keep, and fish, you'll have an idea on what kind of equipment you need to look at.

Some may disagree, but you get what you pay for in this hobby regarding equipment.
Theres a reason why everyone has vortechs, tunze, or sea swirls.
Theres a reason everyone goes with Reef Octo, echopps, and or vertech skimmers.
the one thing i diasgree the most on with the rest of the crowd is Mag drive pumps. I hate them and dont understand the hype. They are too loud for my taste, and the ones ive ever had or seen have issues. Eheim is my return pump brand of choice. (i have no experience with external pumps on aquariums, which you may want to look into).

As far as lighting, LED. They are more expensive on the front end, but over time (if used long enough, Halide and t5 can become more costly from energy use, heat output (offset by a chiller in most cases) and bulb replacement. Get a dimmable unit, and one that you can easily program or adjust the color on easily.

good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I am highly thinking about the Reef Octopus Diablo DCS 200 in sump protein skimmer.I am undecided on lights. I want something that is going to connect to a Apex Neptune Controller. I have really liked the Maxspect Razor lights. I looked at them at local fish store. I do like the Raidons, I have not personally got to see AI hydra or vega. The tank configuration whether full reef or ? The wife wants full reef. My son wants something different. I have not completely decided. I know if I keep coral and go reef I want a mix lps, softie,sps. I am really appreciative of your input.

Protein skimmer thought as of now is a Reef Octopus SRO 3000 (in sump) skimmer. Went to local fish store today and looked at them and got to see them in person and got various different views and thoughts from various people that was in the store at the time. Still not directly set on that particular skimmer. But as of right now that is the skimmer of choice.

Back