Just Moved to Seattle

Eric Boerner

Coral Cutter
Just moved into the area from Los Angeles. I broke down and sold my reef down there a year ago and was looking at getting back into the hobby again when our house is finished being remodeled here. I have done some minor scouting around the area for LFS's, tank builders, etc, and I have to say, it looks pretty dismal for the hobby in the NW so far.

Anyone have any good info about custom tank builders, LFS with some decent stock on a regular basis, or a thriving marine club?

Thanks in advance.

If you looking for good stock there is a shop in spokane called Aquatic Dreams. If your looking for custom made equipment go to www.barraquatic.com, he is a local guy that also runs our local reef club. Attend a few meetings and get frags from your local members. I think it's reef frontiers.

I'll vouch for Aquatic Dreams, too. The owner, Kevin Pockell, is a longtime reefer who knows what he's doing. You can find the shop online, and if you phone or email Kevin with a request, he can probably scare it up for you, and if he gives you advice you can pretty well trust there may be another way to do it but his way will work just fine. He deals in frags, equipment, and fish.

The drive through the Cascades is really spectacular: the 100 miles of crop names on the fences is less so, but the Columbia Gorge is a sight worth seeing. And if you read up on the Spokane Floods and know what you're looking at, it's one of the planet's most unusual landscapes, caused by one of the biggest floods in planetary history.

Best gas prices: Moses Lake, second exit. Best food in Spokane: Anthony's on the river, downtown. There's a Motel 6 a mile up from AD, and a Best Western a couple of blocks away.

Aquatic Dreams is a day drive if not more... I agree it's a nice store though.

In seattle, there are quite a few stores. I primarily go to Blue Sierra, as it's very close to me, and has a large selection.

As for tank builders, the nicest acrylic work I've seen up here was done by: Clear Fabrications, Inc.

Hi Eric: for custom tank, I think you should definitely check out worldclassaquariums.com. They are located in North Bend and the owner Jason does some seriously nice work w/acryllic. I don't own one of his tanks yet, but I'm 100% my next one will be built by him.

HTH,

Rob

Back