Kent Marine Phosban Reactor....

GreyDC

Going to get two to help with Phosphate issues and to run carbon.......what size pump should I run on it?

Thanks!

Just use a small powerhead. I think < 300 gph is more than fine.
I've got a 450 gph or something hooked up to mine and the valve is turned WAY down.

they come with valve and you can adjust the flow until you see some movement of media in the chammber. If you have very strong movement of the media in the chammber means the flow is too strong.

Thanks guys!!

Side question....what type of media are you running? I am going to be trying Kent Power Phos......I have always ran ROWA but I thought I would give it a try.

I think there is a test on it in the Beginner's FAQ section.

Phosban, Rowas, etc ... All basically tested the same. Others will tell you different, but I just went with the Phosban. It works fine.
Phosphates were at 1, now phosphates aren't much of anything. The stuff lasts for awhile too. I think 2-3 months is what the canister says. 1 gm per gallon isn't a ton either.

Kent phosphate media is good, clean but you cannot leave in the reactor for too long as it leaks out PO4 back to tank when it maxed out, it is kind of one shot to bring the tank PO4 down but not good media to use in long run. One thing good about Kent media is you can renew and reuse for a few times.

Kent phosban reactors don't come with a valve. I just bought one last month and no valve to control the flow. Two Fishes does though.

I am using pellet GFO from bulkreefsupplies. Much cheaper than the other brands and is suppose to work well with less dust.

i thought phosphate media never leaches.. it just stops working.. so basically you test before you run it.. to see where you are at.. then run the media.. usually last for a few months.. once you start getting readings of phosphate you know that it is time to change the media

if you didnt order the kent reactor yet, then dont i hated mine had 2 of them, garbage. That have those stupid twist lock tops. T
TLF is way better and you get a valve with it

Thanks kdblove_99. I actually order the TLF instead. I was having a few beers with a fellow reefer and he convinced me to go with TLF.

Question for you though.....The flow is going through the bottom to the top of the reactor.....are you suppose to have it lay horizontal? (Sorry, the photo at marine depot has it horizontal....)

Also, I just went with the Ehiem 1046 pump.....do you guys think this was to lilttle of flow through?

No, hang it vertically. The purpose is for the water to be forced up through the media. That way there is maximum contact with all the media.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12869174#post12869174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigclops
i thought phosphate media never leaches.. it just stops working.. so basically you test before you run it.. to see where you are at.. then run the media.. usually last for a few months.. once you start getting readings of phosphate you know that it is time to change the media

I thought so too, as it is the way for many phosphate medias, but for kent marine media it says on the label that leave for 8 hours to 2 days maximum otherwise phosphate will be re-released back to the system ( I assume it means 8hours to 2 days after it's maxed out)

Back