Killer starfish :( Any help?

liveaquaria does not have them on there but I have seen them there.

That is insane you need to have a natrual solution as you will never be able to take care of all of that. CRAZY great pic of your starfish farm though. I will have to book mark this as some thing out of controll.

I have a small green starfish in my refugium I got from a friend that eats coral. I toss in some pieces of kenya tree occasionally and he munches down. He's really awesome looking but I could see him doing some SERIOUS damage in a display tank. Wonder if it's the same thing? He is pretty lightly colored compared to yours but is about the size of a nickel.

the killer stars you have look like astrea stars ( i think thats how you spell it) and i was told that the Harlequin shrimp will eat them. so if it was my tank i would buy one and try it out!

good luck

Here is some more pics. Was climbing on my chalice. Glad I got him out before he ate anything else. Two more big ones that I know of are still in the tank. Hope I will be able to pickup the shrimp tomorrow or sat.

Untitled-1.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

I have brown starfish that are very similar, I have never had a problem with them and never have seen them on corals or frags. I kinda like them! I would go with the shrimp, but, hand pick them out as you see them, if you see ten, there are a hundred hidden on the live rock. The brown ones multiply fast, but have seemed to taper off a bit!

just a thought what if you were to hyper saliniate your tank? Like raise the salinity to about 1.032-.035 for a week or so? Most star fish do not like the higher salt levels and should die off naturally. It should not hurt any corals or inverts, and may do the trick. Just a suggestion, i do not know if this will work but it is a suggestion. I tend to hyper sal. my tanks for diease prevention and it seems to work good for me. good luck let us know if the shrimp works for ya

Salty Critter has had harlequins recently. We had them in our raffle at the last 2 c-sea club meetings.

Back