kleini butterfly ???

Crusty Old Shellback

MASVC OG
Premium Member
OK all I have a question.

Does anyone have any experience in keeping a Kleini butterfly in a reef? I'm interested in getting a pair for apstia control but am worried about them turning to my coral collection after the aps are gone. Any ideas? They will be going in a 400G tank.

My only experience with a Klein or orange butterfly was that I put one in my 55g FOWLR and it died in 2 days...quite mysteriously. I saw my yellow tang (ooooooo...tang in a 55 -gasp-) getting a little uppity with the Klein so she might have harrassed it or something. Tthey are supposed to be fair reef denizens.

Might have better luck with a copperband or a Longnose. I would still say goodbye to all of your tube worms, lol.
-Chris

No tube worms in the big tank yet. I was looking for a CBB but haven't found one yet and a friend who works at a local shipper said they had a kleini in that was doing good. I've looked on a few websites but about all they say is it likes leathers. Just wondering that since I have a lot of apstia in the tank right now, could I ween him from leathers with that and some other foods until the aps are all gone and by then have him trained to eat pellets/frozen cubes like my other fish do?

Back