Salt water from PNW in tropical system?

Jeff000

Electrician
So after a few year break from aquariums I am looking for another one. But now I live in the PNW, Vancouver Island. Lots of clean salt water around, but I want tropical reef. Is the water up here going to be that different?
I guess the big thing would be the chance on introducing pests, just trying to keep my costs down this time around.

Big magnifica anemone, and butterflies are my goal. 120-160g dt with possibly 500g sump.

Thoughts on other things I could collect rather than purchase?

Anyone know a store on the island that has salt water stuff?

Thanks,

Welcome back!

I don’t think you’d have too much of an issue. @Paul B uses water from off the coast of Long Island without issue.

Can’t really help too much with the stores in Vancouver but I’ve seen some great, but pricey corals come out of ReefRaft Canada

Yep, Paul uses water from Long Island Sound, so I don't think you'll have an issue with water from the ocean where you are. Just bring the temp up before doing a water change. I imagine the water is pretty cold where you're located. That said, it's likely that most pests you might introduce will not survive long in the temps of a tropical reef tank.

Use the water. It always amazes me that people use store bought fake water when they live by the sea. :D

Back