Lazy reefkeeper needs advice

waverz

Slave to the reef!
I have a nearly totally automated 60 gallon cube that contains mostly SPS with a LPS. The bio load is very low as I only have a few small fish.

I have been doing 1 gallon water changes daily for nearly 2 years via my LMIII. I never check water parameters anymore but was curious what they were so I made a visit to a friend who actually had some tesk kids that weren't over a year expired like mine were.

I was shocked at how low my parameters were.

Alk 5dKh
Ca 330ppm
Mag 900ppm

That would explain the slowing of SPS growth over the last several months.
In the past I assumed corals would be dead but my corals all look great, they just are growing very slowly.

I was wanting to add some new coral to the system but figured I better try and get my water back to "ideal levels" before adding anything else.

I am wondering what the easiest way of getting things back in check would be.

I am leery of doing large water changes because I know I have ammonia in my source water that apparently gets past my RODI. Anything more than just a few gallons at a time really causes a bad reaction which has led me to only changing 1 gallon a day.

I was wondering if I could just add some supplements to my 30 gallon fresh saltwater reservoir rather than dosing the tank directly. This way I could slowly increase levels and not have to worry about an ammonia spike.

Would this be an ideal solution or would dosing the tank directly be a better choice?

I would confirm your ammonia levels somehow. What test are you using? I'd at least compare the results to distilled water to test the integrity of your kit.

I agree changing the filters would be a first step if you confirm ammonia in the source water. The carbon filter should absorb it.

I would also invest in a good alk, Ca, Mg kit like salifert to confirm your levels. I'd bring the levels up slowly by hand dosing. Then stop and determine daily consumption. Then decide if kalk dosing or 2 part is right for you. Dosing Mg by hand once in awhile will be needed as well. I'm a bit lazy as well and find automatic 2 part dosing fits the bill. My set up only really requires attention once per month...

Is the ammonia from the salt product? Many salt products contain ammonia as a contaminant, sometimes in easily-measured amounts. I agree that the test kit might have failed, as well.

What is the tds on the ro/di post di resin? What is the salinity?

Back