led is it reef capable?

saltyseadog

hi every one i am new to the whole saltwater tank ordeal i have bred fresh water stingrays so not to new to the hobby just saltwater lol wel i was just wondering if any one could tell me if these leds specs are reef compatible.

thanks for your time and advice

Power Supply AC80-265V 13W
Output Voltage 46V
Frequency 47-63Hz
LED Qty 225pcs (112 Blue LEDs + 113 White LEDs)
Color Blue and White
Blue LED Lumen 5.55 Lux x 112 LEDs (621.5lux in total)
White LED Lumen 6.93 Lux x 113 LEDs (784lux in total)
Blue LED Wavelength 450nm
LEDs Diameter 5mm
Working Temperature -10 - 50 degree Celsius
Working Humidity Less than 95%
Power Cord Length 25 inch
Light Panel Size 12" L x 12" W x 1-1/2" H
Lighting Coverage 0.66 Ft - 6.6 Ft
Recommended Height 1Ft - 5Ft
Recommended Coverage One panel per 10.8 square feet
Specific Distance and Lighting Coverage:
Distance to Plants Lighting Coverage
20inch 8-3/5 square feet
40inch 10-4/5 square feet
60inch 13 square feet
80inch 16 square feet

What wattage are the LEDs and are you using optics? What's the unit or is this a DIY?

You'll probably get better/more responses in the lighting forum.

No, corals need more than just white and blue. This blend will not give you enough spectrum coverage. It looks like it is designed to grow plants most stuff designed for plants will not work for corals. If I am reading it right there is 225 leds in a 12x12 area, that doesnt sound right.

First off lots of people run just Cool White and Royal Blue for lighting over their tanks. But based on those specs, no that is not the right light. Those are low power standard 5mm LEDs. Also with multichip LEDs you can get literally 100 LEDs in about 4in^2...that ranges from 100-252W

You're looking at a 13W setup with ~1400 lumen. Thats basically 4-5 Cree LEDs. Not enough to support much more than a 5gal pico tank at best.

Look at any of the LED build threads and you will not find a single one of them that tell you a 1:1 mix is good. I have seen it first hand where everything from zoas to SPS just lose coloration and are not happy in general, then they modified the fixture by adding a second blue, warm whites and a few reds. Then all the colors returned and everything was happy once again. All major companies AI, Ecotech, Maxspect etc, have learned this and are now coming out with 6 colors and more in there new fixtures.

Yes a multichip can pack alot of leds in a very small space, I dont see where it states that it will be a multichip design but i may have missed it.

Look at any of the LED build threads and you will not find a single one of them that tell you a 1:1 mix is good. I have seen it first hand where everything from zoas to SPS just lose coloration and are not happy in general, then they modified the fixture by adding a second blue, warm whites and a few reds. Then all the colors returned and everything was happy once again. All major companies AI, Ecotech, Maxspect etc, have learned this and are now coming out with 6 colors and more in there new fixtures.

Yes a multichip can pack alot of leds in a very small space, I dont see where it states that it will be a multichip design but i may have missed it.

I never said 1:1 but there are quite a few of those as well. More 2:1 though and that is still not necessarily optimal but people have had success (which is a word defined differently for everyone). I agree there are numerous companies adding other spectrums of light now and I see it as a good thing.. Its a learning experience and still in its relative infancy.

It has even been noted that getting more than one bin of RB or CW etc can give you a better spectrum spread. The reds, some people argue can cause photoinhibition but having seen that paper I think it was a poorly designed experiment for OUR purposes.

I ended up going with a multichip + some additional blues for evening light but had I done a full 3W build my plan was 5CW, 5NW, 10Cree RB, 10 Philips RB, 1 Red and 1 Cyan.

Salty, moral of the story is no that is not a sufficient chip for reef lighting and I find it difficult to believe that it would be effective for terrestrial plants as well. There are lots of DIY threads here on rolling your own LED setup as well as reviews on fixtures for purchase. Figure out your budget and how handy you are with a soldering iron and RC will help you out!

I believe this is the light you were looking at?
LED LIGHT

Those are most definitely standard high brightness LEDs available at Radioshack. Not suitable for a reef.

Last edited:

I run 1:1 on all 3 of my tanks and if you check out any of my build threads you would see that! :mixed:
As for the light in question, those are low wattage leds and will not work for corals.

thanks for all of the info. i got two free corals from one of my hook ups to try underneath the lights and they are actually doing good lol they have opened up like he said they should and have not lost any collar they are doing well so i will let you know if they die or not lol they have been in the tank with the lights for 3 or 4 days now i will be getting some better lights in another month or so from my coral guy

Back