LED Lights and Anemones

RIGUY314

Hello Anemone experts - we have been planning a tank upgrade for some time with the focus on Anemones - mags and gigs. (build tread will follow) And now its time to purchase some new lighting. We currently have AI Hydras but have been looking the 3 different lights for the new tank - AI Hydra 52 HD, Radion G4 Pro and the Kessil AP700. can you please post your experiences with the different lights and keeping anemones under them? likes, dislikes, etc. Tank is due going to be here in the next month or so, so we need to decide relatively quickly. thanks for the help!

I've had gigs and mags under Kessil A350/360s and Radion XR30 and XR15 Pro. I like Radion more for better overall spectrum and controllability. Kessil customer service is great and responsive but I find that Ecotech Marine has a slight edge in terms of tech support. I've never really been attracted to AI lights due to their more complicated mounting options compared to Kessil goosenecks or RMS for Radions.

I have had anemones under Radions (still do) and Kessils (as well as Maxspect Razors), and much prefer the spectrum of Radions to Kessils. The AI's would have the same advantage IMO...

I've had gigs and mags under Kessil A350/360s and Radion XR30 and XR15 Pro. I like Radion more for better overall spectrum and controllability. Kessil customer service is great and responsive but I find that Ecotech Marine has a slight edge in terms of tech support. I've never really been attracted to AI lights due to their more complicated mounting options compared to Kessil goosenecks or RMS for Radions.

My experience is essentially the same as this. Gigs and mags like a lot of might and both A350/A360s and XR30s work well for both.

I would read up on the AP700. I'm sure it would probably work fine, but my understanding is that two A360s still pack a bigger punch than one AP700.

It'll help if you give us the tank dimensions so that we have a better understanding of your needs. For example, if the tank is longer than 3 feet, then an AP700 alone probably won't work.

I have had anemones under Radions (still do) and Kessils (as well as Maxspect Razors), and much prefer the spectrum of Radions to Kessils. The AI's would have the same advantage IMO...
thanks for information!
thanks for the info. Radions were my first choice but I the more I read and play with the AP700, the harder the decision. what do you think of the AP700's?
I have the ai hydra 52 and i have 4 rainbow btas n a gbta in my 120g. My tank is a mix reef tank.
I too have had BTA under the Hydras with success. thank you for the input.
My experience is essentially the same as this. Gigs and mags like a lot of might and both A350/A360s and XR30s work well for both.

I would read up on the AP700. I'm sure it would probably work fine, but my understanding is that two A360s still pack a bigger punch than one AP700.

It'll help if you give us the tank dimensions so that we have a better understanding of your needs. For example, if the tank is longer than 3 feet, then an AP700 alone probably won't work.

thank for the input. I have been reading up on the AP700 and my local LFS has both the radion and AP700 on display. i really like the AP700, they seem to be easy to adjust, coverage is great and shimmer it creates doesn't hurt either.

The tank is a Reef Savvy Rimless tank 60*24*24. Would definitely need at least 2 AP700's and 3 Radions. thought?

thanks for information!

thanks for the info. Radions were my first choice but I the more I read and play with the AP700, the harder the decision. what do you think of the AP700's?
If AP700 is as good as A350/360 then you will be just fine keeping mags and gigs. I haven't it used AP700 model personally but it's supposed to be very nice. Radion should be given more consideration if you plan on keeping Acros. Otherwise, for anemones, soft corals, LPS and other SPS corals Kessil will do the job.

If AP700 is as good as A350/360 then you will be just fine keeping mags and gigs. I haven't it used AP700 model personally but it's supposed to be very nice. Radion should be given more consideration if you plan on keeping Acros. Otherwise, for anemones, soft corals, LPS and other SPS corals Kessil will do the job.

We are going to keep the anemones, LPS and some SPS. I may just have to try the AP700.

Is your new tank going to be 60 x 30 x 24 as your signature notes, or 60 x 24 x 24? The extra 6 inches (assuming that's front to back) makes a difference in terms of your lighting needs, especially if you want full coverage. For a 30" wide tank, you can err on the side of overkill, and go with six 360s, or six Radions (or Hydras), or three AP700s (turned sideways).

A friend of mine has a 60 x 30 x 28 and is running four Radion Pros and a pair of T5s. He has no shading.

If you're looking for something a little different, you can also consider the GHL Mitras LX7 (especially if you're using a GHL controller). At $699 pre-release price, it's cheaper than the AP700 and puts out a tiny bit more light (185 watts versus 195).

Is your new tank going to be 60 x 30 x 24 as your signature notes, or 60 x 24 x 24? The extra 6 inches (assuming that's front to back) makes a difference in terms of your lighting needs, especially if you want full coverage. For a 30" wide tank, you can err on the side of overkill, and go with six 360s, or six Radions (or Hydras), or three AP700s (turned sideways).

A friend of mine has a 60 x 30 x 28 and is running four Radion Pros and a pair of T5s. He has no shading.

If you're looking for something a little different, you can also consider the GHL Mitras LX7 (especially if you're using a GHL controller). At $699 pre-release price, it's cheaper than the AP700 and puts out a tiny bit more light (185 watts versus 195).

the tank is 60*24*24. we had to change it. thanks for the catch. also, I spoke to my local LFS and he thinks that 2 AP700 would do it. i'm going to call Kessil in morning and see what they say. it will be interesting to see what they say too. more light is better.

I wouldn't go with a AP700 for anemones, but rather with several A360E since those give you the flexibility to place the LED right where the anemone is (either where you put it or where it went it on it's own).
Also, you can mix and match Wide and Narrow models depending on how much punch you need.

I wouldn't go with a AP700 for anemones, but rather with several A360E since those give you the flexibility to place the LED right where the anemone is (either where you put it or where it went it on it's own).
Also, you can mix and match Wide and Narrow models depending on how much punch you need.

in looking at the AP700, that makes sense. with the AP700, you would have to position the structures underneath the lights which may or may not work out the way you want it. i'll have to research the A360E. thanks for the info.

I had to make the same decision when I was setting up my 100 gallon tank with a 40"x28" foot print: 2 AP700 or 3 to 4 A360E.

In the end the only thing that the AP700 had going for it was the (supposed) ability to dim down to "0".
But it could only be controlled via iPhone or iPad which I don't have. No Android, APEX or other aqua controller support was already a deal breaker.
The light output of the demo units weren't that impressive either.

Lastly, I already had a good number of A360 and getting more was less costly than switching.

Right now I have 3 A360 over that tank. For anemones that would be enough. But I plan on adding 2 to 4 dimmable T5s to eliminate the shadowing of the corals (that's a general LED problem).

I would even consider the Chinese LED boxes (Mars Aqua and Co.) before going to the AP700.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

All of the lights that OP mentioned will work with nems. It's just a matter of preference and budget. Radion is the best of them all IME but also the most expensive especially when getting into Pro models. Despite Radion being the safest bet, all three brands will work for an anemone dominated tank.

Back