Let's See Some T5 Only Lite Tanks (remember Just T5 Lite Tanks) :-)

On a 20 I think you could only fit a few (4 maybe)of the 24 watt lamps. I'd maybe look at the Nova NO T5 strip lights or the HO Helios for that small of a tank. It would save you a considerable amount of money.

Since its been a while since the last tank pic, I thought I would post mine.

I'e had it up for about 8 months, but I just put the first coral in it.

Here it is:

55871fulltank1-15-05.jpg

Here are some close ups of the coral. The two brains came on the rock.

a. mille
55871redmille.jpg

Monti Cap
55871purplerimcap.jpg

Monti Cap
55871orangecap.jpg

Monti Digi (with Rose Brain Coral in the background)
55871montidigi.jpg

Candy Cane
55871candycane.jpg

a.tenuis (with a green brain in the background)
55871acro2.jpg

and here's my t. derasa (been in about two weeks)
55871DSC01889.jpg

Can't wait to put more in and watch it grow!!!

Jim

NightstrikeTR said:
Nice looking tank man what combo of bulbs are you using? Are they ati bulbs?
Brian

Yes they are all ATI bulbs. I currently have this setup:

From front to back (4x54w)

ATI Blue+
ATI SunPro 6500K
ATI Aquablue 11,000K
ATI Blue+

I might change the Sun for another Aqua to see if I like the change.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

gemini aquarius(t) said:
im a noob to t5 and i was wonderin how many bulbs i would need over my 20 high tank

20 gallons? hmm 2 should be fine but it all depends on what you want in the reef. 3 24 watts will allow you to keep anything

Does anyone have trouble keeping their mushrooms from shriveling up? Mine are at the bottom of the tank and they still seem like they are getting too much light. If I put them in the shadows then they open right up. Just wondering...

I put especially the red mushrooms in the shadows, otherwise they donÃ"šÃ‚´t like it.
The blue/purple ones donÃ"šÃ‚´t care - I even can take them directly under the bulbs.

When I first put in T5s after having PCs, I had mushrooms shrivel up, but they eventually came back. I didn't use the 'screen' method of acclimating them to the new light, but should have.

Well I should be getting the Maristar in tomorrow. Do I need to acclimate the tank to the lighting? Or just throw it on?

I have orange shrooms on top of the rocks and they seem ok with it. Ihave some others in the sand and they all look about the same. The greens and blues don't seem to care either.

Hey Grim,

Do you actually have the Orange Discomas or are they ricordia? I just picked up some flourescent orange discomas and I have never seen any before.

Gemini, I agree with horkn. Anything that could be kept under halides could be kept in that small of a tank, however, the sps will not thrive as it would under halides.

Back