Lets see your shark and ray tanks

mayo-92

I have read about tons of you keeping these fish but havent really seen many pictures of the tanks and how they are set up would love to see them so lets see them !!

:D

155 bow

155 bow

155 bow front

Black Banded Cat Shark 10-12” long

100_2082.jpg

100_2075.jpg

100_1811.jpg

some video

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/2003mikem/?action=view&current=100_2352.flv

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/2003mikem/?action=view&current=100_2351.flv

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/2003mikem/?action=view&current=100_2108.flv

big reef that substrate looks kind of coarse...I hope you are going to put in softer sand then that as the shark will scratch up his underside and it will get infected and you know what happens after that. just a heads up :)

Depends on where u read. Some say up to 6’ others say 4’

As far as the substrata goes he climbs all over the rock, that is sharper the sand.

Minimum tank for an adult is 180, witch I fell is to small. I am planning a 500 + gallon tank right now.

don't go with what websites say as min tank size for any fish. they normally run small. I would recomend a minimum of a 300 gallon tank for most small sharks as it gives them plenty of room to swim.

Big reef that shark looks great just wondering though did you hatch it from an egg or did you buy it hatched already

Anyone else got pictures of a shark/ray habitat.???

We are presently in the process of setting one up and I want to see what others have done. Also, I am looking into building a shark pond for when my guys outgrow their tank. We live in South Texas and I think it might be doable especially with california critters. Anyone with an outdoor shark pond, I'd like to hear from you.

Mel

That shark reaches a maximum length of 40", although most don't exceed 36".

I suggest you go out and buy "Aquarium Sharks and Rays, By Scott Michael.

Chad

TriniStylez,
Thanks...yes, it is the 480gal which got alot smaller when the shark went in ;)

johno4,
The ray is a Yellow Ray, wild-caught from Florida....she's about 10" across the disc.

mayo-92,
No, it's a regular old California Horn Shark. PJ's have a different stripe pattern, little/no spots, and higher sub-orbital ridges.

Very nice tank and setup I am hoping for something similar in the future. I have the tank, just waiting to move. I was thinking a bamboo and either a yellow or cortez ray. Are you plannig any other fish or just those two?

john04,
Actually I have a few other fish in there....they were just camera shy....I have 2 Foxfaces, a jeweled eel (which I'm looking to get rid of, want one? :) ), and a Harlequin Tusk. Tomorrow I'm adding some tangs.

I've never owned a Cortez ray, I've heard they are one of the better rays... I love my Yellow, she's beautiful and very active.

Most all benthic sharks are kind of inactive....my horn sits in one place most of the day but becomes very active within 5 minutes of "lights-out"....I have some moonlights on the tank so I am able to watch him at night, he free-swims more than some of the other "aquarium" sharks.

Funny, I plan on a very similar fish list. Basically I have the fish now that will go in the tank, foxface, y.tang, hippo and unicorn tangs, zebra moray, v.lion and h.tusk. Might get rid of the lion.

Yellow ray and cortez are very similar, I'll probably get get which ever is available at the time.

I didnt plan on moonlights, I guess its something I should consider.

Thanks for sharing, it really looks nice!

Yeah, the lion might not be the best choice in a shark/ray tank.....they both have a tendency to swim wherever they want to and may accidentally bump the lion and get stung....

The yellow ray has IMO a better pattern than the Cortez. The Cortez will probably be much easier to find though.

Definitely consider the moonlights....most sharks/rays are much more active at night.

Good luck to you, be sure to post pics when you get the tank up and running.

Back