Lfs in so cal

I just checked out Leng Sy's warehouse to see how it was coming along. It is going to be very cool when it's complete. I'm not allowed to post any pics yet, but there is a Martin Moe designed surge tank that is very cool, featuring a surge zone and an intertidal zone. I kid you not when I tell you, I sat and watched it for a good 45 minutes, and was still entertained. I've never seen anything like it.

I only visit 2 LFS's on a regular basis.

1. Aquatic Fantasy (Redondo Beach) - Saltwater stuff only. Good fish selection and i've found their fish to be extremely healthy. All of their fish are tagged with dates so you can see how long they have been in there for. Their fish prices are decent and slightly above average but i think its a fair trade-off for healthy fish. Their frag tank is just ok, but a little on the expensive side. Their coral tanks have alot of items but nothing unique. Mostly common stuff and on the expensive side. Their prices are pretty fixed. They have a display tank in the front of the store that i once asked if they could sell me a frag of xenia from and they refused. Thought that was pretty funny. Probably because any time they deviate from the asking price or standard protocol they need the owners permission.

2. Jim's Exotic Fish (El Segundo) - Nice store. Nice people. They sell both fresh and saltwater stuff. I go here all the time because its close to work and in the strip where i eat lunch on a regular basis. Not too many fish but their prices are pretty good. They do get some nice frags every once in a while and they are priced lower than most shops in the area. The frags that they carry are zoas, sps, acans, and some other smaller stuff. The neat thing i like about them is that sometimes they will have a very large colony of nice zoas for a decent price, however, i only want a small frag of it. There have been a few times where i'll ask them if they can break me off a piece for a lower price. If its possible to do without damaging the rest of the colony then they will do it. Probably because the people that run the shop ARE the owners. So they can make decisions on the spot and not risk losing business.

I was in there last week and they mentioned that they have plans to completely renovate their reef section by the end of this year. Looking forward to that for sure.

just went to (pasadena tropical fish) for the first time.. WOW alot of coral selection i was pretty amazed. prices are a bit high tho. almost 3 fold what they wholesale.

Strictly Fish - has locline and plumbing parts in the back btw (got excited when i found out) but may be better to get online unless u cant wait

I only visit 2 LFS's on a regular basis.

2. Jim's Exotic Fish (El Segundo) - Nice store. Nice people. They sell both fresh and saltwater stuff. I go here all the time because its close to work and in the strip where i eat lunch on a regular basis. Not too many fish but their prices are pretty good. They do get some nice frags every once in a while and they are priced lower than most shops in the area. The frags that they carry are zoas, sps, acans, and some other smaller stuff. The neat thing i like about them is that sometimes they will have a very large colony of nice zoas for a decent price, however, i only want a small frag of it. There have been a few times where i'll ask them if they can break me off a piece for a lower price. If its possible to do without damaging the rest of the colony then they will do it. Probably because the people that run the shop ARE the owners. So they can make decisions on the spot and not risk losing business.

I was in there last week and they mentioned that they have plans to completely renovate their reef section by the end of this year. Looking forward to that for sure.

They carry a lot more fresh vs salt, but when I want something specific I ask Michelle if she can get it for me. She's the daughter and she handles the marine stuff. It may take a little while but she is usually able to come up with it and I've been happy.

I find it funny that sometimes I'll want something and they'll tell me that I really don't. Instead of selling me something that I'll be sorry about in the future they just won't sell it to me. I must admit that I do know them (my son and their daughter) but I try and buy most of my items there anyway. That's how I got into fish. My son talked me into it because I love the ocean and am a big time scuba diver. I thought I'd get to see my son more often too if I had him maintain my tanks.

They won't carry some of the harder things to keep like seahorses or sharks, octopus, or jellyfish just because they don't want people that can't care for them to buy them just to kill them.

I was in there last week and saw that they had this odd mis-mash tank and asked about it. A customers home was being tented and they were holding his stock for them. I didn't ask if they were charging him to do that but I thought that was really cool.

Went to Coral Island on Friday had a bunch of frags. Two large frag tanks with frags. If you buy multiple frags he'll hook it up. :D Customer service was great and he told me that hes try to have 6 frags tanks set up. GO check him out. I believe his name is Tony. great guy!

Been out of the hobby for a few years. Now looking for a good LFS in the Ontario/IE area with good healthy fishes and great prices. any suggestions?

Clean store, good customer service

Clean store, good customer service

Capistrano Reef +1, can't wait to go again tomorrow!

I've been there a couple of times already. The store is clean and well-organized. The stock is good, with more coming soon, I was told. Owners are knowledgeable. Thanks to them, I got rid of my red slime algae.

I'm planning to go back for a big purchase of livestock with my 20% off coupon. I have one extra coupon if anybody needs it.

the only lfs ive been to worth going to in the IE is mystic reef in riverside. jeremy is super cool. of course the more you spend the better prices you get which is great and how biz should be done. if anyone knows of more LFS in the IE PLEASE post it here. im in the high desert and the closest to me is aquarium world. bret there is a super chump. dont waste your time with them!:mad2:

aquarium store near LAX?

aquarium store near LAX?

When I drop off and pick up people at LAX, I have seen an aquarium store on Century Blvd right near the airport. Has anyone been there? How is it?

I cannot remember the exact name... maybe something like World Aquarium?

the only lfs ive been to worth going to in the IE is mystic reef in riverside. jeremy is super cool. of course the more you spend the better prices you get which is great and how biz should be done. if anyone knows of more LFS in the IE PLEASE post it here. im in the high desert and the closest to me is aquarium world. bret there is a super chump. dont waste your time with them!:mad2:

Yeah they are terrible. Girl stuck her hand in the water and got shocked, and was like wth, then did it again, and got shocked again. :worried:

Total tropical in upland had a decent selection of corals, kinda pricey and the guy is also a chump. haven't been there in a while, not sure if its still open either.

Aquariums in Motion in Corona. I went today and Jason has a lot of very nice corals for really good prices. I picked up a nice acan mini colony for $25.

Just moved here from S. FL couple weeks ago and still need to get tank setup and cycled again but would like to visit some stores in Mission Viejo if anyone knows of any. I'm going to have to visit these other stores on the weekend since I bleieve they are all a little ways away from me (don't know area well).

You should check out New Age Aquatics in Tustin, its pretty close to Mission Viejo...

Back