Lighting Requirements for Tridacnids

I know most people say,my clam will be chowder soon BUT he really is growing with great mantel and color. He is only 11 inches deep at the mantel and my lights do rest directly on mt tank. I'm sure this is the reason for growth and health.

I don't for a second agree with others that say my clam is under impropper lighting. This clam couldn't be healthier. But When I answered a post of someone asking If clams can be kept under reg. PC's,and I said how I had this clam for 1-1/2 years I got swamped with people telling me they should only be under halides and t-5's as a minimum. Also alot of people tell me that crocea clams are the most light demanding of clams. They may be right but as long as nobody tells my clam, I think we'll be just fine.My clam is such a ham, he had me take this picture today, just to say :wavehand:

opps,
fishypics-29.jpg

like i mentioned, each clam is its own individual. there's no doubt that your clam will do great in metal halides or t5s, but there is also no doubt your clam is just fine under your power compacts as well :)

To 35" height (bulb and Clam) ...........with two HQI 250 watts 14 k and 20 leds of 1 watt each(actinic ) it's a total 20 watts leds.........................only 4 days in my 156 g tank !!!

101_0156.jpg

----------------------

Last edited:
Very helpful thread. Do you think a Deresa or Squasamosa clam will do good under 4 54watt T-5bulbs w/o individual reflectors? The clam would be 19"from the water surface. Would I need to put it exactly under the bulbs or could I put the clam in the front where it wouldnt be exactly under my light fixture?

Thanks in advance

Do you happen to have some specific PAR values for each species of Clam? I am looking at a Deresa clam and where i woudl want to keep it is getting 50-70 PAR

Thanks for the great info.

I have a quick question (I'm sorry if someone has already answered this) . Does the color of the clam influence its light requirements? for example does a gold Crocea have the same requirement as a blue/green Crocea?

Thanks,

Sam

hey guys,
I just picked up a blue maxima the other day and he seemed to be fine for a day or two. He opened every day and attached to the rock I set him on. all the sudden my shrimp(cleaners and peppermints) are going crazy picking at him. It sounds like he's dying, I'm hoping for a miracle cure!! If anyone can please help thanks.

MIke

Back