lockrookie's 50g nano daycare room divider

lockrookie

as noted in my 180 build the following is the build that inspired my 180g tank. again all comment and questions welcomed good or bad.

i bought a 50 g tank in may 2010 i was going to use as a qt tank and just have too many other ideas. and i need to keep my mind busy so here it goes. june 2010 it begins

i built this tank like a mini peninsula tank like i\ve been seen so many ppl do. it inspired me i want to set this tank up in our basement for our daycare kids. tax right off? i can try. as well im always tired of looking at a tank from one side i see the kids always fighting for a spot to see whats going on. thus the peninsula or room divider style was made.

i currently have a 20g fw that sits up against the wall with mollies.. i used to have ciclids but a heater malfunction cooked them. well not all but some survived and now reside in a daycare parents home tank.
so this is what started with:
50g tank
20g sump later changed to 33g
quiet1 4000 return
3 10g tanks to slice up and drill for overflow
going closed loop with another pump i have instead of powerheads
most plumbing parts still need a few more pieces
heaters

i didnt have google sketch but i drew these up on paint as an idea for my plan..

tank2plan1.jpg

since this was my firsst tie actually cusomising atank the hardest and scariest parts werel be cutting the glass for overflow... and notching the tank for the overflow this build was to see how far i can go with as much do it yourself as i could

i officially came across my first hurdle right away. the tank had a inset border around three sides my assumption was that it was to hold a lid inside the tank. now i was hoping that the builder only siliconed the edges not the flat to the glass.. my hopes are now crushed. it was on there good.

so i had to figure out how i was going to separate these pieces of glass from the tank or its going to look like crap if i didnt . i tried thin screw drivers razor blades by hand but it was clamped on tight.my only dangerous option was to chip it away untill im able to scrape the rest off. or leave it be and build a trim to cover the ugly.i even begged teh masses for sugestion but fer of breaking the glass not to many other than razor blades came up.

this is what i was dealing with

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCN0418.jpg[\IMG]

one friend suggested using the hammer or as i joke locksmith vehicle opening tool in the background as a joke..and well i got brave i used my hammer/locksmith tool with razor blades and pliers, flat screwdriver and slowly chipped to separated the two pieces of glass (with alot of sweating and nervousness) without damaging the main glass

also i picked up a dremel diamond bit for notching the one panel for the overflow and it .

here are the pics with those strips removed and notch cut in using a dremel and a pic of the bit i used.

[IMG]http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6466.jpg
100_6467.jpg

here is the overflow box not glued together but i did well in my cuts. the thin glass broke a couple of times and i ended up using thicker glass than from the 10g tanks.

100_6469.jpg

100_6471.jpg

the bit i used for holes and notching

21565_XB-LF1_3.jpg

overflow attached i used 1 1/4 abs plumbing

100_6473.jpg

this about the tiem i got the idea for a rock wall and a buddy pointed me towards RC and i never slept for 2 days researching getting ideas and planning this tank...next posts my rockwall and return tower.

rock wall / return tower

rock wall / return tower

after the research i sunk my teeth into the world of rock walls and this is the process and results.

PART 1 ROCK WALL

100_6476.jpg

attaching the rock to the eggcrate with zip ties

100_6477.jpg

our dog broke my cammera sorry for the fuzzy pics but foam filler withvin thevrocks
100_6479.jpg

epoxy and sand mix

100_6480.jpg

100_6481.jpg

return tower

100_6486.jpg

100_6485.jpg

100_6487.jpg

100_6490.jpg

testing in the tank made a few adjustments and off to the next step
100_6491.jpg

Thats pretty cool! Keep the pics coming.

Nano section is limited to 34g and under just so you understand when they move it.

Last edited:
Cool build!

thank you

Thats pretty cool! Keep the pics coming.

Nano section is limited to 34g and under just so you understand when they move it.

i have lots more pics coming no worries

i guess i should have read the forum better my apologies if you know a mod by all means set this thread in the proper location. im used to my local forum. thank you fro the compliment and the heads up

thank you

i have lots more pics coming no worries

i guess i should have read the forum better my apologies if you know a mod by all means set this thread in the proper location. im used to my local forum. thank you fro the compliment and the heads up

I dont understand why they have a nano section and a large section (180g and over) but nothing in between section like mini reef or whatever.

I dont understand why they have a nano section and a large section (180g and over) but nothing in between section like mini reef or whatever.

every forum is different its all good ill track don a mod and see if i can hae it put in itsprper place.. itis what it is as long as ppl canenjoy or hate it thats all that counts:) lol maybe one day there will be such a spot this site is so huge already it may not bethat important at this time.

well until we figure out where this thread should be i may as well continue... i had searched for a long time for a sump gave up and posted on used site a lf ad. i just felt a 20g sump just would not cut it for this build, even though all i ran is a 20g sump on my 90g which works great, and this is only a 50. and poof within a day i had a reply from a guy who sold me a 36x12x15h. and all was well with the world.

so the work began cleaning, scraping, measuring. and this is what i came up with. i got a lot of help searching sites...googleimages is my friend...for what other ppl did and liked this design. only downside is i have to make some plumbing adjustments but all in all im quite happy with it.

100_6497.jpg

100_6498.jpg

100_6501.jpg

DSCN1089.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

on and end note i think i did well no leaks no changes just have to finish the stand/ paint stand get a skimmer(pending) and order my 30" 250w mh with pc lighting at this point of the build..

the stand

the stand

gonna lelt these pics tell teh story no mindless babble in this post ..maybe

100_6502.jpg

100_6503.jpg

100_6505.jpg

ok proof of my boredom is here my painted sump pics...roll your eyes and shake your heads now...my wife did

100_6506.jpg

100_6507.jpg

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

lights

lights

ok so here are the pics of the light im sorry im not a great photographer. all said and done i like this light but will be going led in the future. switched the 14k bulb with the 20k bulb right away and will start with that.

here are a couple pics before i figure out how im going to mount it in the hood. ill leave the tank shot for when i have the light mounted. this is an oddesea 250 my with pc actinic

DSCN1298.jpg

DSCN1296.jpg

DSCN1291.jpg

DSCN1300.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

stand

stand

so..at this point now stand is done. i figured a way to mount the light to be able to easily be remove for maintenance. its not how i wanted my hood originally but i think all in all did the trick.

well here are the pictures..... you know its what everyone wants

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1815.jpg

DSCN1817.jpg

DSCN1819.jpg

DSCN1821.jpg

well here it is. tank in place just a few minor trim to add and add water,live rock,sand. its final resting place

DSCN1841.jpg

DSCN1837.jpg

are ya wet yet ..the tank is

DSCN1843.jpg

DSCN1848.jpg

DSCN1847.jpg

continued next post....

Still looking great!

Really like how you designed the sump too.

edit lol we both like the sump. Posting at the same time.

thank you it was fun to build nad insipred my 180g build i only have a few ore pics and a vid to post somethings have died and changed and after i do a majot cleaning this week ill post a updated pic of how it looks now i have a bit of hair algea outbreak im dealing withdue to neglect durringmy new buld.

thank you ...regretfully had a parrot pika passed away last year of unknown causes he was a pionus maxamillion. hated me loved my wife. followed her like a lost puppy around the house. this is a pic we took of him outsite in our bushes. we miss him lots.
pika.jpg

Very very nice... Now my wife has new expectations. Lol... Very rightious.

just tell her you canonly do so much ..its up to the tank to flourish.. let nature take its course... thank you for the compliment

Sorry to hear about your bird...They are amazing animals. I really want to get a Green Cheek Conure.

thank you we still have the cage and hope to one day be able to find another feathered family member pika picked us. he climbed over 5 other ppl at the store to getto my wife.. so we must have the same thing happen before we bring one home.

i too wouldl llike a conure they are crazy crazy birds . just simply not right in the head .. but can be very very niosy as well when our twins grow up a little and understand keep finger out of cage we may look into another till then we still have my 2 tanks.. 2 dogs.. our cat and most inmpotantly our 1 year old twins to keep us entertained... yes my girls are animals lol

Back