Looking for my first 6' reef tank and equipment

reeftorlax

Hello, I'm new here but live in the LA area. I'm brand new to this hobby and am still doing a ton of research to getting started as intelligently as possible.

I would like a 6'x2'x2' (no bigger) as my first tank. The reason is I would like to have 1-2 tangs. I'm looking for the tank first and then the equipment right after.

This is what I see that I will need so far:

1) Tank (can weld my own stand)
2) Sump (I may build this)
3) Protein skimmer
4) Light
5) Powerhead and wave generator
6) External overflow tank
7) Rock (haven't decided on dry or live yet)

So, I need basically everything and my list keeps growing. I went to a few LFS's and I think I can be more economical buying the right equipment from different places or making some of it myself.

I know there is a ton I don't know. If you have any of this you'd like to offload, especially a tank, please let me know. I'm actively looking now and will hopefully buy my tank by the end of the week.

I don't know how to edit my original post. I would prefer a glass tank as I'm sure I'll be an idiot and scratch an acrylic one.

You're going to need a tank that's reef ready and already drilled for an overflow. You don't want an external overflow that relies on siphon.

Is this your first reef tank? There is a tonnnn of time, money, and experience needed to get a tank that size running smoothly. Yeah you could save a couple bucks and buy used, but in the long run, unless you really know what you're doing, you're better off starting with fresh new equipment. If I decided with a tank that size my budget would be no less than 5k just for equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're going to need a tank that's reef ready and already drilled for an overflow. You don't want an external overflow that relies on siphon.

Thanks Shaman. Yes, I have been told that and read others saying the same thing. I will be staying away from the hang on back style overflows.

Is this your first reef tank? There is a tonnnn of time, money, and experience needed to get a tank that size running smoothly. Yeah you could save a couple bucks and buy used, but in the long run, unless you really know what you're doing, you're better off starting with fresh new equipment. If I decided with a tank that size my budget would be no less than 5k just for equipment.

Hi Dalton, what you're saying makes sense and it's where I started. I was going to get a 20-40 gallon and learn with it. My wife wants a blue hippo and that's one of main reasons we're getting into this. I have seen them in tiny tanks but have read recommendations that they will be happy in a 6'. I know there are opposing views but I don't want to keep switching to bigger tanks and stressing my fish and coral out.

I'm trying to start simple, even with a bigger tank, and then upgrade/customize as I learn.

Look into SC Aquariums they have the best deals on 5 foot tanks.

Follow the SC club thread. Follow build threads, copy success, ask question, starts threads on which skimmer is best for a 150 gallon tank? Which light is best etc? Build up your thread count and 90 days and start buying someone of the stuff you read about and know their value.
And above all Happy reefing and Welcome to Reef Central.

If that's the case consider a 48x24x24. That's 120 gallon and it'll work for a blue tang. It's a really nice size in my opinion and if I had had the space I would have gone with that

It's ambitious to start with 180gal tank. Most people would start with smaller tank until you know what you want because it takes time to figure out what you like and don't like. If you rush into a big tank and equipment, you might end up spending more money to upgrade to what you wanted. There are so many different choices, it'll be hard to figure everything out in the 1st try. And it take a lot of money to setup, fill, and maintain a 180 gal...so you better be sure...and not just for keeping a tang because you have a whole big tank.

Just for example, for lights, what are you going to get? MH, T5, LED? Combo? These lights to cover a 6ft tank can be over $1K-$2K. Let's say you decide on LED, which brand? Radion? Mitras? Kessil? So many choices...I'm sure you will say some money if you buy used and not new, but even then you need to know. What bulbs gives you the look you like.

I suggest that you hit up your local reefers to go check out their setups, and learn about what other reefers are doing, besides reading as much online as possible...and join a local reef club where there is a wealth of reef knowledge. I think if you create a list of what you want (like specifics...Radion XR30 G4 Pro, etc.) for each of the things you need, then more reefers can comment and help you decide.

Sorry for the long rant. Just want to make sure you don't spend a fortune to set up a 180gal just so you can have a blue tang.

I think a lot of the current success in reefing is the proliferation of controllers. If you want to keep a reef steady, you need to buy a controller like an reefkeeper or apex. These control basically everything from dosers, lights, chillers, etc.

Last edited:
ive got a recirculating protein skimmer for sale - just needs a feed pump - PM ME FOR DETAILS - also have a calcium reactor with regulator - if you plan on having sps reef -

6x2x2 is a great size. And yes, get glass, there is no way to not scratch acrylic. Consider getting the front pane in low iron or starfire.

And yes, you are going to be spending a buttload of money.

Focus on quality and energy efficiently, with this size tank, every watt of power you put into it is a watt you will have to take out generally with a chiller.

Are you doing 2 part or calk reactor?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2550948 Sorry I thought you wanted a 5 foot tank. Here is a link for one of them. I have been looking for a 180 for a while now, they are out there.

That's cool. Thanks for the link. I ended up getting one last night and got it in the house today.

If you rush into a big tank and equipment, ... And it take a lot of money to setup, fill, and maintain a 180 gal...so you better be sure...and not just for keeping a tang because you have a whole big tank.
I suggest that you hit up your local reefers to go check out their setups, and learn about what other reefers are doing, besides reading as much online as possible...and join a local reef club where there is a wealth of reef knowledge. I think if you create a list of what you want (like specifics...Radion XR30 G4 Pro, etc.) for each of the things you need, then more reefers can comment and help you decide.

Sorry for the long rant. Just want to make sure you don't spend a fortune to set up a 180gal just so you can have a blue tang.

I think a lot of the current success in reefing is the proliferation of controllers. If you want to keep a reef steady, you need to buy a controller like an reefkeeper or apex. These control basically everything from dosers, lights, chillers, etc.

Hi moondoggy, I appreciate the info. What you mentioned is our big concern, that we would make so many drastic mistakes, we would end up replacing everything we buy because we made the wrong decisions. I expect that to happen with some things but people we are talking to are leading us in a direction I feel is intelligent. Plus, we are buying most everything used for this same reason.

It would be helpful so see other setups. We have seen a couple but only one this size. We are in Torrance. If anyone else that is relatively close has a 125+ gallon tank, we would love to check it out to see what you did.

We have a list of components we want but it keeps changing based on what is available.

ive got a recirculating protein skimmer for sale - just needs a feed pump - PM ME FOR DETAILS - also have a calcium reactor with regulator - if you plan on having sps reef -

Thank you but we just picked up a skimmer and we are not planning on SPS in the beginning.

6x2x2 is a great size. And yes, get glass, there is no way to not scratch acrylic. Consider getting the front pane in low iron or starfire.

And yes, you are going to be spending a buttload of money.

Focus on quality and energy efficiently, with this size tank, every watt of power you put into it is a watt you will have to take out generally with a chiller.

Are you doing 2 part or calk reactor?

Is this five.five.six from calguns? I don't post a lot but I recognize your name I think from the SSZS threads.

I did get a glass tank. It doesn't have starfire but I have seen other tanks without it and I thought they looked great. We know this isn't a cheap hobby at all.

We are planning to start with 2 part but this is an area we know little about and need to research more. We were planning to eventually get a doser but need to learn more before making the purchase.

For that size, $5k is the least you will be spending, especially if you're gonna have corals. Heck, I think I already spent $5K on my 55 gallons. Hehehe

Like someone already mentioned, it is very hard to figure out everything on the first try, that's why most people start with a smaller tank to test water (pun intended), and see how will they like the hobby. If you survive the bad phase of the hobby and willing to go forward, then do what you really want. And by that time you probably already know the specific equipment(s) you need appropriate to your tank/livestock. On the flip side of the coin, if you got really frustrated from all the fish diseases/deaths and nuisance algae you've encountered and decided to quit, well, you only end up losing few hundreds compare to few thousands if you have a large system.

Dont take it the wrong way, we are not trying to discourage you, we just want you to be prepared for the worse.

Enjoy the learning stages, and Good luck, its a lot of fun! This hobby needs dedication, patience, and its like having an additional child. LOL

IMO, if you go big and do it right the first time, it will cost a lot less. How much money is wasted on things we upgrade later and sell at a fraction of their price?

I agree with you 100 percent, because majority of people in this hobby get hooked. However, there are few people that spent a fortune on their first set up, then decided to quit due to failures and frustrations, and or don't have enough time to maintain or give TLC on their tank? They'll end up losing at least half of what they spent. Yes I know, it's not my money, but I just hate seeing other people having that kind experience.

I agree with you 100 percent, because majority of people in this hobby get hooked. However, there are few people that spent a fortune on their first set up, then decided to quit due to failures and frustrations, and or don't have enough time to maintain or give TLC on their tank? They'll end up losing at least half of what they spent. Yes I know, it's not my money, but I just hate seeing other people having that kind experience.

I hear you and I appreciate your thoughts and the warnings of others. I know from other hobbies I've had that it works that way. I figured, I would be upgrading if I got a smaller tank so why not just go for what I would want. I can fail or get frustrated at this but I thought about that before I started.

Reeferside, I rec'd your pm but I cannot send pm's yet to reply. Thank you for the offer but I've already purchased a tank and a few pieces of equipment. Hopefully you are upgrading and not getting out of the hobby. Your 4x2x2 sounds like a beautiful setup.

I agree with going big from the start. I started with a small tank and ended up spending a lot more than if I had just went big right from the start.

Just know that the most crucial ingredient in reef keeping is patience. The only things that happen quickly in reef keeping are bad.

Back