Looking to skin a steel stand

I follow your thread even though i end up searching for halide fixtures afterwards. I ended up running 2 of the fans you used on your build. They are mounted in the light rack I built. Loud when they kick on but man they move some air! Kept my tank within a degree all summer.

I posted here and on FB and a few people hit me up about doing the install. They suggested magnets as well, that solution seems so simple I'm going to go forward with it myself. With a table saw and router collecting dust, it's too hard to shell out that cash. I've got my pieces cut and 1 of the smaller panels mocked up with the magnets recessed. Your right, even if I only get an hour or two during the week it'll be completed much quicker than having someone else do it. My main goal is to have it look alright and keep the 7 month old out for now. I can always come back to it down the road if need be.

If you're still on the hunt for the Joe Knows Rainbow let me know. I could get a decent frag off it now and am always looking for trades

I do want the JKR it's just that I'm booked.

I hate having to throw that kind of number at you but I'm an electrical contractor and time spent on your project is time not spent actually charging more and that's how I feed my family. I figured it at @$150 materials and 4 hrs at a super duper cut rate and still....

Anyways, I'm sure you will do fine. Get the magnets on amazon, I like the ones that come with 3M adhesives included, will save you time.

While no material is baby proof, FRP is baby resistant and saltwater-proof. I slammed mine up just in time for 3 months dog sitting for the in-laws.

The edges will come out micro jagged and sharp, break the edges with 200-400 grit sandpaper. A pass or two along each edge will make it baby skin friendly. But glide your own hand along the edges to be sure.

A few hints:

A) Buy an appropriate blade for FRP

B) Have a folding table to support your work as you cut

C) No tank or piece of material is worth a finger, if in doubt, let it drop and make the drive to HD spend $45 more

D) The walls of your house are not straight. Measure and calculate the minor angles for a nice tight custom fit.

E) Measure twice and cut once. Mark in pencil

F) Allow for 1.5X the time you think you'll need

G) Have fun and be proud of a job well done.

I'm sure you'll do fine and it will be great.

Also, if it’s close, I’d go to Ganal lumber if close enough. Prices are about the same as HD but the quality is superior.

I do want the JKR it's just that I'm booked.

I hate having to throw that kind of number at you but I'm an electrical contractor and time spent on your project is time not spent actually charging more and that's how I feed my family. I figured it at @$150 materials and 4 hrs at a super duper cut rate and still....

Anyways, I'm sure you will do fine. Get the magnets on amazon, I like the ones that come with 3M adhesives included, will save you time.

While no material is baby proof, FRP is baby resistant and saltwater-proof. I slammed mine up just in time for 3 months dog sitting for the in-laws.

The edges will come out micro jagged and sharp, break the edges with 200-400 grit sandpaper. A pass or two along each edge will make it baby skin friendly. But glide your own hand along the edges to be sure.

A few hints:

A) Buy an appropriate blade for FRP

B) Have a folding table to support your work as you cut

C) No tank or piece of material is worth a finger, if in doubt, let it drop and make the drive to HD spend $45 more

D) The walls of your house are not straight. Measure and calculate the minor angles for a nice tight custom fit.

E) Measure twice and cut once. Mark in pencil

F) Allow for 1.5X the time you think you'll need

G) Have fun and be proud of a job well done.

I'm sure you'll do fine and it will be great.

I hear ya. I didnt mean to say your price was high by any means. I was saying i posted up and got a few responses soon after, then decided to start the project myself.

I got all my pieces cut and countersunk for magnets yesterday. Just going to do a simple wood skin and paint it for now. Thanks for the pointers.

A fellow sparky! I'm a journeyman myself, mostly commercial with a little industrial experience early on.

It meant we could trade coral for the jkr

A fellow sparky! I'm a journeyman myself, mostly commercial with a little industrial experience early on.

Shocking

I"m qualified in resi, commercial, industrial, structured cabling but now i'm trying to transition into photovoltaic.

With over 30 years, photovoltaic is the most challenging thus far. Suddenly, I'm a roofer too.

My first PV job I got my card signed after a 2 minute inspection, apparently AHJ liked my work. I just got the prints ready for plancheck on my 2nd job.

Back