using magnets to hold skin on steel stand?

afex

anybody ever done this? any pitfalls? should i use a specific type of magnet?

i'm designing my setup, and this seems like an easy approach to create a semi-permanent yet easily removable skin for a stand.

is there anything obvious that i'm missing other than planning on attaching magnets to the outer skin and letting them grip onto the frame of the steel stand where i place them?

the stand is being made by A.G.E. if that matters.

sounds like a great idea, and I think it will work.
you need to find out what type wood you are going to use, and start adding magnets until it holds.

I actually started out w/ magnets in mind for stand, and doors, but I found that Making a U shape cabinet will stand freely on it's own.
Mine is basically same concept, but wood frame instead of steel, but the whole things slides out so it's easy to move or pull out to get to equipment.
Here's mine;

cabinet025.jpg

cabinet027.jpg

cabinet052.jpg

cabinet095.jpg

cabinet087.jpg

good point about the U shape.

my plan is to actually not have any hinged doors, so the three sides need to be separate. i'm going for a more modern look. i want it to look like the tank is just sitting on a solid box.

Originally my plan was magnets for doors, then I changed mind.
Home depot does sell some pretty strong magnets, and they have round ones that you could use a paddle or forshner bit to bore out for a smooth/below surface mount.
Post pics when done.

i had magnets with 3 separate panels, but recently switched to hinges. I cut my middle panel in half, and connected it to the side panels and they are only connected to the stand at the back. This allows for great access, with the panels still connected. I will try to illustrate, don't have pics yet

tank only
____
|____|

tank with panels open
____
/|____|\
\ /

sorry if that doesnt explain it well I used normal door hinges at the back corners, and a piano hinge to connect the 2 wood panels at the front corners.

Magnets worked for me and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I used rare earth magnets and embedded them in particle board panels and then laminated over the top of them.

The mission was to skin this tank.

150_Front_View_2.jpg

When this pic was taken I had run out of formica. I just needed a little bit to finish the left end of the tank.

Almost_Done.jpg

All the panels can be removed for easy access to the sump area in under 10 secs.
Even the corner braces have magnets embedded in them and pull off easily for cleaning the glass.

the main reason I changed was that I had to put the panels somewhere when I worked on the tank, and it became a chore to do quick checks on the equip. And one of the panels fell on my dog. He didnt like that. He sulks now whenever I go near the tank.

I like the idea of your hinges Scott. Only caveat is that you have to make sure to have a clear space equal to the width of your tank on both sides of your tank or your doors won't open. In my case - that wouldn't have worked.

davocean,

Nice work!!! I was planning on doing 3 seperate panels but was concerned that the trim on the corners wouldn't line up perfectly everytime. For the rare time that I would need to remove my skin (if ever), I really like your idea!

davocean its a really good idea i hope you don't get mad but can i copy it your stand is one of the best i have seeing here

Coralfragger, nice setup, looks clean, nice scaping as well!
Scott, I like the way you have that hinged for access, pics, photobucket.
Thanks Rick S.
Tremendo, feel free, I myself take pieces from others to make my own.
In the words of Frazier Smith(radio DJ/comedian) I stole my stuff from someone else, so if you steal from me, you stole twice!LOL
I have more build pics if needed, glad to help.

Pretty much what I am getting ready to undertake. I thought the magnet idea worthy to keep your face frame and sides tight to the stand. With the U shape skin, it may not be necessary like Davocean pointed out.

Davocean - Yes please, more build pics. Nice touch with the embossed carvings on the canopy. Did you order those or find them local?

davocean, your stand skin and canopy are awesome, the best I have also seen here on reef central. I am planning on doing something very similar. I plan on incorporating a t-5 fixture so will use 1 by 8 maple as the valance/canopy. I also plan to pocket hole a skin for my 36" tall metal stand.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12822872#post12822872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kylehca
I also plan to pocket hole a skin for my 36" tall metal stand.
Are you going to use a Kreg jig for this? I am leaning towards this method also for the face frame build up.

Back