A Warning about powder coated stands

wmilas

Keep magnets 9" apart!
A little story some might find useful.

2 years ago when I designed my current tank, I was worried about the weight and decided to go with a steel stand and powder coat it. I was worried that a wood stand, even built out of 4x4's would rot in my sump room. I designed it to be sealed from the rest of the house and I knew it would always be very humid in there.

Fast forward two years. Powder coats suck. It was bubbling off everywhere and I had solid rust the farther down toward the floor.

I just spent all day steel brushing it then applying a coat of POR 15 to it. I now know that powder coating a stand for saltwater use is damn near pointless. I should of coated the whole thing in POR 15 on bare metal to begin with.

I'm happy its done but being cramped up under that thing all day long sucked.. HARD. Ontop of that that POR stuff does not come off your skin with any known solvent known to man that I can find. I tried soap, paint thinner, kerosene, and gasoline. My hands and arms are solid black. Its like the pigment soaked into my skin. There is nothing on my skin, my skin is just a solid shade of black :(

So a warning, if you are thinking of powder coating, don't. Save yourself the time and just have the thing primed with POR 15 from the start.

Understand completely about the powdercoat... got all kinds of things here at the house that I can show people how well it holds up to constant moisture.

Lacquer thinner might help you get cleaned up some... I spent years with my hands immersed in the stuff but know it's not the best thing to be doing. You might want to try some clean motor oil, cooking oil even. I used to work with a lot of aniline dyes and the only thing that would get it off my hands was either the oil or pick up a bucket of KFC on the way home... I'm being serious.

Steve

if you are having problems with powder coating it was not properly preped. Phosphate bath is esscential for a good powder coat attachment. Also not skimping on the powder leaving thin area where moisture can reach the iron.

I went for the Marine Epoxy coating on my new stand. I was told they use it on ocean-faring vessels, so I am hoping it is adequate for occasional salt-spray. :hammer:

+1 my dad does the same thing works every time

Understand completely about the powdercoat... got all kinds of things here at the house that I can show people how well it holds up to constant moisture.

Lacquer thinner might help you get cleaned up some... I spent years with my hands immersed in the stuff but know it's not the best thing to be doing. You might want to try some clean motor oil, cooking oil even. I used to work with a lot of aniline dyes and the only thing that would get it off my hands was either the oil or pick up a bucket of KFC on the way home... I'm being serious.

Steve

Back