Lost 1 of my paired clownfish to a tank bully

ashish

So it's a sad day..

I bought 2 tank-raised clownfish first week of setting up my tank back in 2007 (u can see them in my avatar 2009). These fish where slowly but surely becoming a true pair and the thought of eventually breeding clownfish was exciting. Since these tank-raised clownfish refused to host my anemone I bought a wild fiji (tomato) clownfish and it hosted the anemone immediately. MY 3 clownfish lived peacefully for 6 years but all of a sudden I notice my 2 paired clownfish's fins torn and my fiji went mike tyson on em. I removed the pair easily and put them in my sump. A few days later (after moving the pairs host hammer coral away from the anemone (which i thought caused the territory behavior) then I put them back into the tank. After the tomato kept attacking I re-netted & moved them back to the sump. In this process I must have torn the females eye resulting in 1 eye POPEYE. I really felt this eye would heal itself since the clownfish was swimming and eating fine up until yesterday. The eye was beginning to turn white and she just died.

I have 1 clownfish in my sump and I really don't know what to do. I really don't feel right giving it to the local pet shop (because they'd probably kill it). I was thinking about putting the clowmfish in a plastic contain (in the tank with holes) to see how the tomato clown reacts. Its impossible to catch my tomato clownfish and he has become so aggressive (he literally has a twitch). What do you think caused such aggression after 6 years? Is there any hopes of me every adding any community fish to my tank with this monster? :sad2: My clownfish has been in my sump for over 2 months I have to get him out. I feel very guilty as I did a few things wrong:
I should have tryed my best to remove the problem fish
I should have bought a new net since my one is old, and not kept trying to re-introduce them to the DT.
I should have treated the popeye in a quarantine tank immediately.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. I think your only option will be to remove one of the fish.

I would try to sell it in your local reef club to someone who will take good care of it. It's like finding a new home for any other pet. I doubt your fish store would kill it...they would probably try to re-sell it, you just never know who might end up with it.

It's pretty widely accepted that you can't have long term success with more than one species of clown in the same tank. It's interesting however that for 6 years everything went well, that seems contrary to most people's experience. I wonder if the pair or the single just now reached sexual maturity and it became a territory dispute. You don't say how big your tank is...

I'm no expert..hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

More than one species of clownfish certainly is the cause of death regardless of tank size - unless you have an extremely large tank. Sorry for your losses.

thanks,,the tanks 120 gallon.. My fiji barbi (tom) clown has become extremely aggressive. I tryed catching him but he knows exactly where to go (around my hugh toadstool). I cant remove the toadstool as he is stuck to 20lbs worth of LR.

If I do remove him,, would the single male clownfish allow me to add another clownfish? The tank bred clownfish are very peaceful and never have shown signs of aggression. Maybe add a new clownfish and the old one (from the sump) to the display together..

Your tomato clown is a female. Tomato clowns are one of the most aggressive species of clownfish. I'm actually surprised that she didn't attack the other clowns sooner. Unfortunately, you'll have to get rid of one or the other, and it's quite possible that she may attack any new additions to the tank now that she has asserted her dominance over her territory.

lol...I never thought she was a she..But she's crazy. She's already ran everything out my tank.. I actually caught the anemone of his LR and moved it all the way to the back corner (by a small pc of rock). It just hit me.. use the anemone as bait to catch her..

Back