LPS Flow?

mr pink floyd

ive kept SPS and clams for a while, but never went into LPS. Im setting up a new 15 gallon tank, which will be primarily SPS, but i would love to cover my faux sandbed (sand epoxied to starboard) with some nice LPS. Ill have over 50x turnover in the tank (2 koralia 1 at 400 GPH each) and the bottom has some good flow over it.

basically, can LPS handle SPS flow?

Depends on the species, and depends on where they are placed in relation to the heaviest flow.

Many lps can handle high flow. Many would not do well. Which species are you looking at?

the LFS i work at has a good connection with places in the indo pacific, which means i can get aussie acans at wholesale.

so im lookign at some acans, blastos, maybe a lobo?

i would say most would be in moderate flow and very high light

I keep the flow rate at about 45 times the tank volume per hour

DSC_0014_1.jpg

cool. im probably going to go with a nice ORA duncan, some acans when we get them in and maybe a nice brain to fill things in a bit.

i love the open look, but filling it with colors works too ;)

Mike the problem with lps like torch coral is that they have long polyps--duh like lps :) Therefore its hard to get the reef dense like you can with most sps's. Not only are there stinger tentacles but there is also chemical warfare that can go on if the corals get too close to each other.

yea, i know the chemical warfare, which is why these would mostly stay on the bottom of the tank... assuming i do get some. I probably will throw in an open brain or two, just to get some variation of things.

im just looking to try some new things out, and seeing as i can get some wild colonies, it will be interesting.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11662267#post11662267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
see, the tank is only 12" high, and will be blasted by 4x24w T5 HO :)

beautiful---you will have no problems

Back