LPS HitchHiker ID

travis32

O.k. I originally posted this in the reef discussion because I thought based on responses I may have hitchhiker Majano anemones.

After additional research, I believe they may be bab duncan LPS corals

The two I have growing and are extremely tiny look very much like this without the base (or if the base is there I can't see it):

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...m=1&hl=en&safe=active&sa=N&ndsp=18&tbs=isch:1

I hope the link works. That pic is almost exactly what I have two of growing on their own.

If it's an majano or nuisance anemone I want to kill it, if it's a Duncan, I want to keep it. Urrg.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking... Now, I've seen conflicting information.. Are duncans bad? Or just bad as in xenia bad. They grow fast, multiply fast and can be like weeds?

Duncan as an annoying over grower like Xenia?
Never heard that one actually!
That stuff can make ya some ching for sure either way.

I"m not 100% convinced it's not a Majano anemone, but, in a weeks time, the "mystery objects" have flattened out more, and started to look more coral like than anemone like..

I've also been reducing my salinity from 1.030 to 1.027 in the last week so if it's either annoying anemone or good duncan corals, it's probably irritated..

I'll have to wait for it to get bigger and see if it's easier to id... There'2 that look identical side by side. One is larger than the other but both are still smaller than a nickel in diameter.

The reason I don't think it's a majano or other nuisance anemone is the "hairs" or "tentacles" aren't long and whispy. They're very short and stubby.

Back