LumenMax 2 vs LumexMax Elite? Difference?

Rreef

In Memoriam
LumenMax 2 vs LumexMax Elite?
I am looking at these two reflectors...
I need the reflector with the widest possible spread with no hotspots.
Cant find the differences anywhere...

Also for either of these do I need a fan? Neither have a fan. It is going to be hung, not in canopy.

Widest spread would be the Lumenmax, next the Lumenmax2. The Lumenmax Eliter is optimized to put all it's light in a 2' x 2' area.

Widest spread would be the Lumenmax, next the Lumenmax2. The Lumenmax Eliter is optimized to put all it's light in a 2' x 2' area.

Theres a lumenmax by itself? (no 2?)
I was told that the lumenmax elite has wider spread than lumenmax 2

i have the LumenMax 2 with the glass protector and it has a pretty big spread, does not have or need a fan. If your in NYC ill sell you my 8 month old ones.

Sorry nowhere near. :p

How come this is such a hard question. It should be a yes/no answer...

Just found out there was a lumenmax...
Noone ever mentioned it on forums and the stores I looked at didnt sell it. :/

Now I really have no idea what to get...
Tank is 30x24 footprint, only 14 high. SPS and clams on sandbed in every corner.
I figure I can get away with 1 pendant, just dont know which...

Last edited:
Yah, unfortunately, lumenmax 2 is not on there.

I hear different things from different people. Both sides are knowledgable.
One side says lumenmax2 has way better spread. And lumenmax elite has less spread, and more intense.
Other side says lumenmax elite has way better spread. And lumenmax 2 has less spread, and more intense.
Havent gotten much info on the lumenmax2...

Lumenmax2 is in a Painted pendent shell and has a 11"x11" reflector (so you can use it without a canopy)

Lumenmax elite is more or a raw reflector but is larger at 14.5"x14.5"( Likly want to hide in a canopy
I have had both and the Lumenmax elite has a larger spread..I have 2 lumenmax elites on my 62" tank it took 3 lumenmax2 to reproduce same coverage.

Lumenmax2 is in a Painted pendent shell and has a 11"x11" reflector (so you can use it without a canopy)

Lumenmax elite is more or a raw reflector but is larger at 14.5"x14.5"( Likly want to hide in a canopy
I have had both and the Lumenmax elite has a larger spread..I have 2 lumenmax elites on my 62" tank it took 3 lumenmax2 to reproduce same coverage.

See, there are both sides in this topic alone...
So suprising that there is no set answer...

According to multiple people at sunlight supply (makers of the pendant), the lumenmax2 has better spread than the lumenmax elite.

I dont have lumenmax 2 but I do have lumenmax elite.

My lumenmax elites raised 14 inches off the water surface have a 24"x24" spread. Very intense but not great for spread.

Are there other reflectors i should be looking at?
I thought these were the best, but noone seems to know anything about them.
Anyone try another brand?

Lumen max- largest not in a shell no glass shield combination of texture and smooth surface more for retro fit or canopy

Lumen max 2- in a shell shield comb. of textured and smooth surface black powder coated shell looks fine hanging as a pendant and has glass shield.

Lumen max elite- not in a shell more for retro fit or canopy textured surface on reflector is available with glass shield for HQI users.

they are all good with similar square designed reflectors (same company) that spread light in a wide cone shape in all directions even from center.

Lumenbrite-Octagon shaped reflector more of a double cone shape and forward spread of the light typically do have less stray light (more contained, less light bleed out of the tank into the room).

Lumen max- largest not in a shell no glass shield combination of texture and smooth surface more for retro fit or canopy

Lumen max 2- in a shell shield comb. of textured and smooth surface black powder coated shell looks fine hanging as a pendant and has glass shield.

Lumen max elite- not in a shell more for retro fit or canopy textured surface on reflector is available with glass shield for HQI users.

they are all good with similar square designed reflectors (same company) that spread light in a wide cone shape in all directions even from center.

Lumenbrite-Octagon shaped reflector more of a double cone shape and forward spread of the light typically do have less stray light (more contained, less light bleed out of the tank into the room).

So lumenmax2 vs lumenmax elite for spread?
I am not worried how the astetically look.

I am in a similar quandry and am looking for some advice on whether to get the lumenmax 2 or lumenmax elite. My tank is a 5 foot 110 and the dimensions are 60 long X 18 wide X 22" tall..

What would Y'all suggest. My canopy is about 18" tall.

THX

Back