Magnifica or Gigantea 'opinions'

IME Magnifica anemones do slightly better in captivity and respond better to Cipro treatment than Gigs. For that reason I'd always chose a magnifica over gigantea but at the same time never say no to a nice and healthy gig.

My issue with mags is that they make the black in some of my percula disappear. Had that issue just recently. Interestingly enough, so far only the females seem to be affected...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

if I decided to use a rock Island for a Magnifica, what's the min amount of space can I get away with between the sand and the other aqua scape incase it tries to bail off the Island?

Or will a Magnifica cross over sand?

If it bails just pick it up and put it back on top. Mine tried to jump ship about 4 times then finally gave up and never moved again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually when their happy they won't move. My mag is usually my indicator to let me know if something is wrong. Mine gets blasted by a mp40 and loves it.
c299393698fda896683f3777c3b9f39f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm afraid if I got one it would want to sit where my Green Slimmer is under a 250w halide and 4-T5's

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
If it bails just pick it up and put it back on top. Mine tried to jump ship about 4 times then finally gave up and never moved again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will they crawl over sand or just detach and float till they hit a rock?

Nice looking ritteri. Don't be afraid to hit them with flow. Mine loves it.

Nice looking ritteri. Don't be afraid to hit them with flow. Mine loves it.

haha it's in a SPS tank and the mouth has stayed close the whole week and it's happy on it's island with halides baking it since it has not moved.

All in all the LFS has some nice healthy Ritteri's

I think Gigantea would be better four you in a smaller tank. It is easier to keep the Gigantea just at the sand rock interface. Much harder to keep a Magnifica low down. He always want to climb up. A 37 gal you can keep a small Magnifica in 1/2 of the tank, and the other 1/2 keep SPD. Be careful to keep the Magnifica from touching the wall or other rock that is higher than the one he is on.

I for now have plenty of space from the anemone and rock work, I wanted a Gigantea but could not find one so ended up with the Magnifica.

49701874157_732902a178_z.jpg

49701559091_1df419ddb9_z.jpg

49701559051_e81bfaf8a7_z.jpg

Don't feed him much and you will be fine. Otherwise he will really grow fast amd out grow the space quickly, in term of months.

I don't target feed my anemones the guy at the LFS said these came from Tonga and there hardier than other Mag's from other places idk if he is BS. Also I wanted a magenta or purple base but none to be found

Back