Majano hell in an 850...Idea's?

large angel will decimate the colony in a few weeks....try any holocanthus or pomacanthus species

I would be fearful of a large angel or butterfly fish in a reef tank. I once made the mistake of putting a racoon butterfly in my tank-- he plowed through anything that was
soft, and then on to picking at my SPS.

You can also try with Platax orbicularis. I had the same problem (majanos) 3 years ago. First try: manually, then kalk and every thing you can imagine - no success. Then Chaetodon kleinii and Platax orbicularis. Successful! The advantage of Platax is: you can catch it very easy after it has done its job!

Good luck!

I have 2 racoons in there now, as well as 2 kleins. I have moved alot of the coral to a different tank. All I can do is cross my fingers they behave.....but if I have to sacrfice some coral so be it..If I let the anemones take over they will sting and kill all the corals eventually. I am not worried about taking them out later that wont be to difficult.

an idea would be to remove each rock one or two at a time.
A. let the rock dry out
B. freeze it
C. use a torch to burn them off
doing one rock at a time would be easyier on the tank perams.
i have removed majano from rocks by fraging. basicly physically removing the rock and scraping under the base of the pest anemone slightly into the rock so the majano was not disturbed. i know any above mentioned method will be long backbrakeing labor but it may be the best alternative. hope i could help.

Did you train the racoon's first? I had a major outbreak in my 1700 gallon- literally fields of them.

I took two racoon's and placed them in a 10 gallon tank. I would place majano infested rocks in the tank. Within days both racoons were like rabid dogs attacking the majano's. Of course I held back all other feeding until they thirsted for the majano dinner.

Then I placed one racoon in the display tank and the other in the refugium. They wiped out my problem quickly- and then went on to wipe out the rest of my soft corals, zoo's,ricordia etc.

I have a 400g reef and it was getting pretty overrun with Aptasia and Majanos and I introduced a Green File Fish and within 2 weeks every single one was gone. However he did pick at my Acans as well but not to any detriment. Before the file fish I tried all the other above mentioned injections, off the shelf treatments and nothing worked. They all just managed to irritate the Aptasia so they spread faster...

I have a pair of Heniochus Diphreutes which have completely cleaned my tank of all apataisia. I don't know if they get rid of majanos however, but they are constantly picking in the rock work. This fish is reef safe whereas the Heniochus Acuminatus, which looks amost identical is not. They have an incredible personality and like to be kept in schools. I have two in my 180.

FollowMeHenis.jpg

I've seen a raccoon butterfly make short work of a majano infestation, but it also created a algae bloom from the waste it was putting off!

honestly, when the majano dominate the tank, there is nothing you can do anymore.

i have battled the pest for almost two years, and tried every fish, mentioned in literature, where is the smallest chance that they would eat majano, but eventually broke down the tan. I flushed it for four weeks with rain water, and rebuild the tank with fresh live rock.

everything infected with the majano pest went in the trash bin.

it is a drastic decision, but putting effort in it, month after month, without result, and corals starting to bleach because the sting cells of the majano poisson the water is worse.

greetings

joachim

I have a 1700g reef tank that I know has had some aiptasia introduced in the past, though I don't know about majanos. We feed heavily, and at times Nitrates and Phosphates have gotten out of hand, so something in there has to be controlling them. I've never seen it, but I think our Heniochus diphreutes, the Black and White Bannerfish is what keeps them from outbreaks. We also have a japanese angel, and a pair of Lamark's Angels which might have something to do with it too. For the most part the bannerfish plays nicely with everything including a lot of big LPS, but we did have to remove a gorgeous open brain he decided to nibble on. Good luck!

My pearlscale butterfly eats majanos like crazy. It will ignore the large ones, but I realized all I have to do is take something sharp to poke or damage the large majanos and he will tear out the entire thing in a few minutes. The only ones he doesn't eat are the one's he can't reach. I hope he doesn't start to pick at anything else, so far so good. Good luck there is hope, or maybe I just got lucky.

Sinve you have tried so many, i say gut the tank and dry it all out, remove the rocks with coral and manually get those ones. Good luck either way.

I used a pressure washer. Just took the infested LR out of the tank, pressure washed it and put it back. Took about 20 minutes to rid half the infested 120g(like a carpet of Majano). I have been battling these pests for months. I plan on doing the rest in the morning.

Try a bristle tail filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus). Some say they are not reefsafe. I have 1 in a SPS tank and have not had any problems with them bothering anything. Now Zoas forget it they were like a snack for him:)

I have a pair of Heniochus Diphreutes which have completely cleaned my tank of all apataisia. I don't know if they get rid of majanos however, but they are constantly picking in the rock work. This fish is reef safe whereas the Heniochus Acuminatus, which looks amost identical is not. They have an incredible personality and like to be kept in schools. I have two in my 180.

FollowMeHenis.jpg
Will these fellas pic at lobo's or frogspawn and hammers??

A little update, My racoons are so far doing no damage at all to any other corals in my reef, The majano's are declining in numbers very rapidly. I see them constantly picking at the anemones, they have even got the kleins butterflys interested in them again. At this rate they should be gone in a couple months (crosses fingers).

Back