Majano hell in an 850...Idea's?

X-FACTOR

Weeeeelll For the past 6 months or so I have been battling with a majano outbreak in my 850. Its now to the point that manual control is impossible (IE injection methods) Although I still "cropdust" large patches every once and awhile with kalk. I have been trying random fish with varied success (see list below). I am reaching out to you guys to see if anyone with a large reef has had an outbreak that accually got under control in a large tank. I am at this point considering extremes (high temps for a few weeks to cause bleaching, hyposalinity the entire tank, 23 gallons of bleach and a small nucular device :D :worried: ) I am hoping that I can get some reliable fish or creature for control, I have spent the better part of 2 weeks trying to chase down some spurilla neapolitana nudibranch's with no success.....So anyone have any ideas that i have not thought of yet? Or do you know of a fish (reef safe or not) that will destroy these little suckers?

At this point these are the fish in the tank that are "meant for control"
2 Kleins butterflys (started picking but gave up a couple weeks later)
2 raccoon buterflys (best bet yet but still not really doing it)
1 copperband butterfly (not a chance..but not a aptasia in sight!)
2 Pyramid butterflys (picked for a couple weeks and gave up)

Open for suggestions....

Chaetodon ulitensis is what I use, and minimize feeds to the tank so the butterflies stay hungrier

Weeeeelll For the past 6 months or so I have been battling with a majano outbreak in my 850. Its now to the point that manual control is impossible (IE injection methods) Although I still "cropdust" large patches every once and awhile with kalk. I have been trying random fish with varied success (see list below). I am reaching out to you guys to see if anyone with a large reef has had an outbreak that accually got under control in a large tank. I am at this point considering extremes (high temps for a few weeks to cause bleaching, hyposalinity the entire tank, 23 gallons of bleach and a small nucular device :D :worried: ) I am hoping that I can get some reliable fish or creature for control, I have spent the better part of 2 weeks trying to chase down some spurilla neapolitana nudibranch's with no success.....So anyone have any ideas that i have not thought of yet? Or do you know of a fish (reef safe or not) that will destroy these little suckers?

At this point these are the fish in the tank that are "meant for control"
2 Kleins butterflys (started picking but gave up a couple weeks later)
2 raccoon buterflys (best bet yet but still not really doing it)
1 copperband butterfly (not a chance..but not a aptasia in sight!)
2 Pyramid butterflys (picked for a couple weeks and gave up)

Open for suggestions....

have you tried distilled vinegar injection? its good in killing them... you just need to use some energy for the manual labor but its very effective.

have you tried distilled vinegar injection? its good in killing them... you just need to use some energy for the manual labor but its very effective.

HAHA really...no way in hell you could do this in a hundred years. 90% of them are where you could not reach. Believe me I have TRIED to do it manualy...At this point its like mowing the grass at the superdome with mustache scissors :D

x2

are there any Butterflyfish still in the aquarium?

Klein's, Copperband and Pyramid Butterflys are not good choices for Majano control.

Yes everything I have listed is in the aquarium now. I know the copperband is no good for them (he has been in there for 3 years) The pyramids and the kleins looked promising for a couple weeks but have now stopped entirely. The tank only gets fed twice a week.

I wiped all mine out with a seagrass file fish my tank is a 120 though and i was infested i know its a nano compared to yours lol but its worth a shot i'm sure you'll need a few..

I've never heard of Berghia taking to eating Majano.
They sure do like Aiptasia, though!

Another possible Majano pred would be Centropyge bicolor

I've never heard of Berghia taking to eating Majano.
They sure do like Aiptasia, though!

Another possible Majano pred would be Centropyge bicolor

I have 2 Bicolor angels in QT right now :D I have been trying to get them to go after majano's with no success yet. :(

I had a friend who used boiling water (RO/DI) to get rid of them. He took a funnel down to 3/8" (i think) tubing. He used a coat hanger in it so he could bend it to target hard to reach ones. Then he would pour the water in and within an hour they would detach and die.

I imagine the best way would be manually injecting them, since predators can be unpredictable, but with your size tank that might take a while...

I have read that Large angelfish (Emporer, Blueface, Majestic) will eat them.

Phantom Bannerfish (Heniochus pluerotaenia) apparently eat them too.

Both are questionable in their "reef-safe-ness," but it depends what your stocking.

People have reported Raccoon Butterflyfish eating them as well (as they eat anemones as part of their diet), but it is not considered reef safe.

+1 on boiling water and taking a syringe and injecting them, I think they are attracted to light so you might want to keep the lights out for a few day after you inject them. Check the cmas forum I think someone from chicago had some for their population of majanos and is raising them as a result, if I remember correctly.

Mated file fish is the way to go.
I had a major problem with them. I put (2) they are pretty small in my 280, and within a few months the tank was well under control. They died in a tank crash I had this summer. I will defenatly have them in my system when it is up and runn again.

Back