Mandarin goby. Male or Female?

pro99line

Hello everyone. I am wanting to get a couple for my mandarin and I can not tell if it is male or female so I took some photos so you can see them and hopefully help me. Sorry about the photos being bad and not so clear but my camera is not so good.

DSC03405.jpg

DSC03402.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

DSC03398.jpg

DSC03397.jpg

DSC03394.jpg

DSC03393.jpg

The MALE has a horn that stands up in the front of the top fin when the fin is up.....the female doesn't have the horn.....I cant tell with the pics you have posted

It's not so much a horn like Bill and Elaine describes for a MALE, but an extended dorsal fin that stands out more from the rest of the dorsal fin that it looks like a horn almost. FEMALES don't have this. It's not just a slight extended dorsal fin. It is very distinct.

Right. In males, the first dorsal spine is rather long--looking like a filament on top of the dorsal fin. As in what lessans said, it is very distinct and hard to confuse--assuming the fin wasn't damaged at some point in time, which can just make things worse.

I noticed when taking the photos that it seemed to get scared and when it extended it's dorsal fin there was one in front that stood up and seemed just a little longer. It almost appears as if it was not connected to each other. I will try to take a photo in that way.

Ok everyone, I was finally able to get a decent picture of him or her. Can you tell me the sex with this photo?

DSC03409.jpg

I appreciate the help. So to get a female I need to find one that does not have this horn thing in front of the dorsal fin?

Back