Marine Vascular Plant Tank! Samala need urs and others help!

The sand/mud shouldnt have much of a cycle if any if its fresh, unless the rock is cured it will cycle. The bacteria in the mud will help the rock to cycle but if the ammonia rises you may lose some infauna in the mud.

ok.. well got an answer from Florida Wildlife and Game... this is what i got back:

Good Morning Mr. Andreacci,

Thank you for your e-mail to the Division of Marine Fisheries Management. Florida Statutes (370.0605), states that a saltwater fishing license is not required for the following:

. Any child under 16 years of age.
. A Florida resident saltwater fishing for recreational purposes from land or a structure fixed to the land- a pier, bridge, dock, floating dock, jetty or similar structure.
. Fishing from a for-hire vessel - guide, charter, party boat - that has a valid vessel license.
. A holder of a valid saltwater products license.
. A Florida resident - 65 years old or older and you possess either a Resident Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate or proof of age and residency.
. A Florida resident who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, who is not stationed in this state, while on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders. This does not include family members.
. Any person who has been accepted as a client for developmental services by the Department of Children and Family Services, provided the department furnishes proof thereof.
. A nonresident fishing for recreational purposes from a pier that has a valid pier saltwater fishing license.
. Fishing from a boat that has a valid recreational vessel fishing license.
. A Florida resident who is fishing for mullet in freshwater - with a valid Florida freshwater fishing license.
. A Florida resident fishing for saltwater fish in freshwater from land or a structure fixed to land.
. A Florida resident certified as totally and permanently disabled, who possesses a Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing Certificate. Applicants need to provide a certification of total and permanent disability from the United States Armed Forces, Railroad Retirement Board, Florida Worker's Compensation or the United States Veterans Administration. Alternatively, current documentation for the Social Security Administration for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Supplemental Security Disability Income (SSDI) benefits also will be accepted.

Should you fall into one of these categories, for instance a resident of the state of Florida, fishing from land (or shore), you will not require a license. However, if you are not a representative of one of these categories, you will require a recreational saltwater fishing license.

If you will be harvesting recreationally, you should adhere to the regulations presented within the Marine Life Rules in the Florida Administrative Code (FAC) for ornamentals, or the species regulations for regulated specie. For species that are unregulated, or that do not have an established bag limit, more that 100 pounds or 2 fish per person per day (whichever is greater), is considered commercial quantities and will require a saltwater products license. You may view full text online at http://fac.dos.state.fl.us/ and more information on tropicals and ornamentals at http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm. Some information is also printed within the Recreational Regulations Newsletter viewable online at http://myfwc.com/marine/lines.htm. If you intend to harvest more than the recreational limit or if you intend to sell the specimens, you may be required to obtain a Marine Life Endorsement. More information is available at http://myfwc.com/marine/CommLicense.htm.

If you are planning on harvesting species covered by the Marine Life regulations, please review the following:

Florida Administrative Code, Chapter 68B-42 for Marine Life states:
68B-42.001 Purpose and Intent; Designation of Restricted Species; Definition of ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œMarine Life Speciesââ"šÂ¬Ã‚.
(1)(a) The purpose and intent of this chapter are to protect and conserve Floridaââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s tropical marine life resources and assure the continuing health and abundance of these species. The further intent of this chapter is to assure that harvesters in this fishery use nonlethal methods of harvest and that the fish, invertebrates, and plants so harvested be maintained alive for the maximum possible conservation and economic benefits.

There are live landing and live well requirements associated with these species. Some species have designated size limits and some do not however, bag limits are stated as follows in the Florida Administrative Code (FAC):
68B-42.005 Bag Limit.
(1) Except as provided in Rule 68B-42.006, F.A.C., or subsection (3) or (4) of this rule, no person shall harvest, possess while in or on the waters of the state, or land more than 20 individuals per day of tropical ornamental marine life species, in any combination.
(2) Except as provided in Rule 68B-42.006, F.A.C., no person shall harvest, possess while in or on the waters of the state, or land more than one (1) gallon per day of tropical ornamental marine plants, in any combination of species.
(3) Except as provided in Rule 68B-42.006, F.A.C., no person shall harvest, possess while in or on the waters of the state, or land more than 5 angelfishes (Family Pomacanthidae) per day. Each angelfish shall be counted for purposes of the 20 individual bag limit specified in subsection (1) of this rule.
(4)(a) Unless the season is closed pursuant to paragraph (b), no person shall harvest, possess while in or on the waters of the state, or land more than 6 colonies per day of octocorals. Each colony of octocorals or part thereof shall be considered an individual of the species for purposes of subsection (1) of this rule and shall be counted for purposes of the 20 individual bag limit specified therein. Each person harvesting any octocoral as authorized by this rule may also harvest substrate within 1 inch of the perimeter of the holdfast at the base of the octocoral, provided that such substrate remains attached to the octocoral.
(b) If the harvest of octocorals in federal Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) waters adjacent to state waters is closed to all harvesters prior to September 30 of any year, the season for harvest of octocorals in state waters shall also close until the following October 1, upon notice given by the Executive Director of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, in the manner provided in Section 120.81(5), Florida Statutes.

In addition, the harvest of Live Rock and most species of Coral is prohibited in state waters. If you wish to collect plant species, depending on which species you are targeting, you may be required to obtain a Marine Life Endorsement. Plant life not covered by the Marine Life Regulations may be covered by the Department of Environmental Protection's regulations. If you are interested in the collection of Mangrove propagules, please contact the DEP Environmental Resource Permitting Program at http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/wetlands/erp/index.htm. "Live Sand" is not regulated by the FWC; however it is regulated by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). For more information, please visit the DEP online at http://www.dep.state.fl.us/.

Depending on where you will be harvesting, there may be no take zones as well as regional gear restrictions. For further clarification, contact the nearest FWC Regional office. FWC Regional office contact information may be found at http://myfwc.com/aboutus/regnoffc.html. If you will be harvesting living specimens for collection or display purposes, you may be required to obtain a Special Activities License (SAL). More information about this license is available online at http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/sal.htm.

I hope that this information answers your inquiry. Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions.

Mmhmm, looks a lot like the responses I got via email. ;) I didnt realize under-16 means you dont need a sw license. Sounds like, if you get one, you need a marine life endorsement (I just checked my DEP permits, I've got it too) from DEP. Another round of emails to write.

I like the aquascape you last posted.

>Sarah

I read through the whole thing and it seems very confusing, and a very generic answer. Fishfreak provided specifics which could've been answered. After their response and citing all the various regulatory bodies and different regulated areas I'm confused. Maybe I need to live in Florida to understand it, it's much more simple in NH.

Edit: I figured I'd bust open some of the links for more info, and only 2 of the 8 links work. :confused:

Right, I think FWC is hedging because most of the items of interest, the plants instead of the fish or invertebrates, that could be collected, seem to be regulated by DEP in FL. Thats different than many other states where the Dept Natural Resources (or similar) do it all. All the links work if you remove the extra period (".") at the end of most of the URLs.

>Sarah

what i got from it is that i could collect 20 of anything that wasnt on the endagered/protected list.. but i can only get 2 fish a day.. also a gallon of macros/seaweeds... i was also confused by the e-mail...... all hard corals are off limits.. and any coral i want cant be attached to LR.. does this mean if i find mushrooms or ricordea i can take/get them (as long as they arent on a rock.. or i get them off a rock???) i can do that without a liscence...as long as its not in a few certain places.... Samala.... where is the IRL??? do you have/can you get a map or something of where it is????

Back