Mark's 180 Starfire upgrade

I am a huge fan of shallow tanks. I am tempted to go with a 18" height over the 20". You might as well change the title of your thread to "Mark/Maximus tank build thread" because for the next few weeks, you're going to get bombarded with questions about my potential tank build.:)

I am a huge fan of shallow tanks. I am tempted to go with a 18" height over the 20". You might as well change the title of your thread to "Mark/Maximus tank build thread" because for the next few weeks, you're going to get bombarded with questions about my potential tank build.:)

Sweet :) There are plenty of opinions from different points of views that hang out in these here parts. I am sure the peanut gallery will be able to help you along the way.

I know you are a shallow guy as I almost bouught your lee mar, but it was too shallow for me and my fish tastes. My next tank will be 27" tall as there is also more room for corals to grow ;)

This is freaking nuts. Last week, I had 0 interest in setting up a reeftank. Practically for the last year and a half, the thought never crossed my mind, that is until I started reading RC again. Damnit!

This is freaking nuts. Last week, I had 0 interest in setting up a reeftank. Practically for the last year and a half, the thought never crossed my mind, that is until I started reading RC again. Damnit!

:lol: Sorry Sang. It was that first post back in a long time that did you in. Thats the one thing about people like us and this hobby. Once we start thinking about it, its only a matter of time before Sang is calling Victor :p

:lol: Sorry Sang. It was that first post back in a long time that did you in. Thats the one thing about people like us and this hobby. Once we start thinking about it, its only a matter of time before Sang is calling Victor :p

LMAO! I called Victor about 20 min ago and left a message!

:lol: 8.5 Internal deluxe skimmer plus a flowstar 1500 return pump?

That sounds about right! However, I do not want the sicce pump so if the 8.5 internal comes with it, Im not getting it. I want a real Airstar/Askol pump on the skimmer.

That sounds about right! However, I do not want the sicce pump so if the 8.5 internal comes with it, Im not getting it. I want a real Airstar/Askol pump on the skimmer.

Sounds like you are getting the 10.5 then :p

I'm basically going to try to conserve as much energy as possible as I don't want my electric bills to double. The main reason I am keeping it at 36" length is so I could use one 400 watt Radium 20k w/a nice reflector and put it in a hanging canopy. I might add vhos as well but that would add to the electricity cost.

Terry, I need to pick your brain. I'm considering a 36x36x18 tank. What do you think about center overflow w/1 drain hole and 2 return holes? How large should I make the drain? Man, for the life of me, I can't remember what sizes schedule 80 bulk heads come in. I definitely want to go sch 80 on the drain.

Don't do it Sang :p

Looks nice Mark, although I will maintain that the seam in the previous generation never bothered me :spin3:

Hey there Tbone!!!

Back