Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

My light is 18" off the surface of the water. 12 inch deep tank. (Frag tank) .

Full blast both blue and white I was getting 400 par at the surface and 200 par 12 inches down.

Half power I was getting 250 par at the surface and 125 at the bottom (12" deep)

54.gif
any par readings so far?
30.gif

The values were posted at the beginning of this thread

I have a 65 gallon 36x18x24 tank that I want to change from T5s. It will be primarily softies. Would the 165wt unit give me enough spread or should I go for the wider 300wt unit?

Get two of the small ones or one larger one. A single 165 watt will be way too small

Thank you for the feedback Bpb and paullondon. The light spread looks good in the picture. Will likely just go for the 300wt unit then. Good thread here.

Thinking of going with a 3 pack of the 165w for my 120 (4x2x2). Softies, lps and an rbta. Think that gives me the coverage I need? Thanks all.

I don't have the first hand experience but if your tank is only 4' I think a 2 pack would be sufficient.

Sorry, but also how far off the water should I mount them? Thanks

Since the measurements posted at the star of this topic were:
"My light is 18" off the surface of the water. 12 inch deep tank. (Frag tank) .

Full blast both blue and white I was getting 400 par at the surface and 200 par 12 inches down.

Half power I was getting 250 par at the surface and 125 at the bottom (12" deep)"

I placed my lights on chandelier chains on brackets (see pic above) so I can easily move them up and down. The lowest I can set them is 10" above water surface and the highest is 29"-30" above water surface.
This is sufficient to successfully keep most SPS and LPS

Whats the length on the 300w unit? Would two be ok on a 265 (82x24X30) if i expect some shadowing? Or should I go with 3 165w units? Im worried about the 30inch depth.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm looking to light the Nuvo 40 gallon, and I had been recommended the D2120 but wanted to know if these were better.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm looking to light the Nuvo 40 gallon, and I had been recommended the D2120 but wanted to know if these were better.

Without any first hand experience, basically I just peaked at the add, they appear to be similar units with a different name pasted on to me... What are the dimensions of your 40g? (Just looked up the dims and one unit will be fine) I would try to research the customer support available from that company (if any). For the extra $25 for the Mars unit and some semblance of support and US warehouse for replacement, and support I would spend the extra. That being said the unit you listed does ship from California...

Thanks for the response! I was really wondering if the wattage difference (120 vs 165) would really make a difference in a 40 gallon tank.

The 165 w is actually an over rating.. 55 3w LEDs in both fixtures. Rated 165w but actual output is only about 120w on the Mars units also. These are Chinese "black box" units and basically the same unit rebranded.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! I was really wondering if the wattage difference (120 vs 165) would really make a difference in a 40 gallon tank.

There isn't a difference. 165 watts is just the "nominal" or "rated" wattage. They get this number by just adding up the max wattage of all the diodes. ALL of these units are only driven to 2.2 watts per diode at max power which rings in at around 120 watts actual power. Read the fine print. Hardly anyone runs them at 100% anyway

There isn't a difference. 165 watts is just the "nominal" or "rated" wattage. They get this number by just adding up the max wattage of all the diodes. ALL of these units are only driven to 2.2 watts per diode at max power which rings in at around 120 watts actual power. Read the fine print. Hardly anyone runs them at 100% anyway

Exactly! Only Bpb was much more clear than me lol

Back