Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

It is? I just looked through them and couldn't find it. It has 90 degree lenses as well.

Yes, the marsaqua fixture is identical and has 90° lenses. Basically it's mass produced in China and then relabeled for sale here... Different resellers same product

Mars Aqua mentioned in first page of thread
Dimmer One(28 LEDs): 8 x Cool White 12,000k, 6 x Neutral White 7500k, 6 x Warm White 3500k, 2 x Red 660nm, 2 x Green 520nm, 4 x Blue 460nm
Dimmer Two(27 LEDs): 7 x Royal Blue 450nm, 20 x Blue 460nm

Your light:
Dimmer One(28 LEDs): Warm White(3500-4500K), Neutral White(6500-7500K), Cool White(10000-14000K),
Green 520nm, Deep Red 660nm, UV (400-420nm):
Dimmer Two(27 LEDs): Blue 460nm, Royal Blue 450nm.

I do see the UV's listed in the fixture you found. I could not honestly tell if you need them or not. Some people have said yes, others say that modern studies show them unnecessary... So it really depends on who you ask. This makes the units slightly different but still basically the same build. In regards to the lenses 120° will be better for my personal usage because my tank is not deep and it will provide better spread and uniformity of the light pattern.
The basic answer is that the light your looking at will work just fine for an entry level no frills LED fixture.

The inclusion of those narrow band reds draws more attention than the violets. Violet is not present in any amount on white or blue diodes, hence the importance of adding dedicated narrow band violets. Red however is very present (they're loaded with it) on all those warm whites. I'd put black electrical tape over, or even swap out those red diodes entirely were it me. Warm whites provide more than enough red spectrum for visual appeal and par

They are not quiet but not annoyingly loud Three fans are running on the 300 Watt model. I ordered three 80mm quiet case fans from Amazon for 7$ each to swap the old fans and now the led fixtures is stealth quiet

cthetoy, pardon my stupidity, but is swapping out fans on the marsaqua tough? Any special skills or tricks? I'm surprised at how loud they are although mine are usually only at like 30%. Thanks!

cthetoy, pardon my stupidity, but is swapping out fans on the marsaqua tough? Any special skills or tricks? I'm surprised at how loud they are although mine are usually only at like 30%. Thanks!

Very easy to replace. Open LED fixture. Unscrew 4 screws holding the fan. Cut the two wires (Black and red) on the old fan. On your new case fans there are usually 3 wires. Just cut all three and use just use the black and red wires. Solder, tape, or wire crimp the wire together and place the new fan where the old fan used to be. Screw the fans in and that's it. Enjoy the quietness.

Fans are 80mm
I used these. Low RPM and low dBA
Speed: 1500 RPM
Air Flow: 24 CFM
Noise Level: 14 dBA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBF466/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very easy to replace. Open LED fixture. Unscrew 4 screws holding the fan. Cut the two wires (Black and red) on the old fan. On your new case fans there are usually 3 wires. Just cut all three and use just use the black and red wires. Solder, tape, or wire crimp the wire together and place the new fan where the old fan used to be. Screw the fans in and that's it. Enjoy the quietness.

Fans are 80mm
I used these. Low RPM and low dBA
Speed: 1500 RPM
Air Flow: 24 CFM
Noise Level: 14 dBA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBF466/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's awesome. Thanks for the details. I'm skittish when it comes to that stuff but am going to give that a shot. Thank you.

That's awesome. Thanks for the details. I'm skittish when it comes to that stuff but am going to give that a shot. Thank you.
I made the same mod, as the fans were too loud for me. With the new fans it's very quiet :)
I have had the light a little more than a month now, and am very pleased with it so far. I have it over a 29 gallon drop tank - 28" long - and have it hanging 7"over water level in a canopy. Took off the lenses and far prefer the light without them though I still have a little shadowing in the sides.
So far colors are good under this light. I have growth on an acropora and the color that had faded away before I added this unit seems to be slowly coming back.

For anyone not owning a money tree I would recommend this light :)

And a picture to get an idea of colors and spread (disregard the cyano, please)
DSC_2689 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

What seems to give better results at 24" depth, 90 or 120 lenses? I'm sure the 120s spread the light better, but do they provide enough PAR for clams at 24" ?

I have 70 gallon tank that is 36" wide and 30 " deep.

I have 70 gallon tank that is 36" wide and 30 " deep.

Can any one suggest if 2 of the 165 W lights would be sufficient. I am concerned about the depth of my tank and having strong enough light to penetrate.

MY tank dimensions - Light penetration at this depth.

MY tank dimensions - Light penetration at this depth.

Can any one suggest if 2 of the 165 W lights would be sufficient. I am concerned about the depth of my tank and having strong enough light to penetrate.

Sorry, the full dimensions of my tank are 30"in High x 36" Long x 15" wide. It's a little over 70 gal.

Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

The 165 W units are said to cover a 24 x 24in. Square there is a 300 W unit that would cover a 36" x 24 in. Square I think that that would be a better choice for you. I do not know what to say about the depth people are saying that these lights penetrate to 24 inches fairly well. My comments are based only upon what I have read, I do not yet own one of these units so perhaps someone who is running it will chime in.

Hi,
I was planning to buy Aqua Mars Chinese 165 Watt Dimmable, but then I realized that this light is not programmable. I will be travelling out of the state for 3 weeks. Asking someone else to take care of my tank in the mean time is not an option. I will put an auto feeder for my fish. I have 4 fish and then softies and LPS (Leather Coral, Zoas, Montipora capricornis, Hammer head, Hryptonite Candy, Fungia Plates, Bubble Coral, Trachys, Xenias, Richorieas and Frogspawn) . My current light is programmable Current marine USA LED but this is not by any means enough for my reef life.
I know that lights should be left on for a certain hours of the day. Can I leave my lights on 24/7 for those 3 weeks. If yes then what should be the percentage for actinic blue/white light. If NO, then should I consider buying some other programmable LED light. Or there is any other suggestion. Help appreciated.

Hi,
I was planning to buy Aqua Mars Chinese 165 Watt Dimmable, but then I realized that this light is not programmable. I will be travelling out of the state for 3 weeks. Asking someone else to take care of my tank in the mean time is not an option. I will put an auto feeder for my fish. I have 4 fish and then softies and LPS (Leather Coral, Zoas, Montipora capricornis, Hammer head, Hryptonite Candy, Fungia Plates, Bubble Coral, Trachys, Xenias, Richorieas and Frogspawn) . My current light is programmable Current marine USA LED but this is not by any means enough for my reef life.
I know that lights should be left on for a certain hours of the day. Can I leave my lights on 24/7 for those 3 weeks. If yes then what should be the percentage for actinic blue/white light. If NO, then should I consider buying some other programmable LED light. Or there is any other suggestion. Help appreciated.
Use a basic timer found at Walmart.

heavens no! Dont leave the lights on 24/7. You'll be lucky to have a single coral left alive within 3 days. Go to walmart, Lowes, or Home depot, tell them you need a basic, cheap lamp timer. Plug into that. That's how I run my refugium lights and all my fw tank lights. That's how people have been running their lights for decades before controllable leds became available. Nobody was ever leaving their lights on for days at a time

Got it. Will get myself some timers(why didn't I think of that!). Finally, one of my friends agreed to pay every other day visit to my tank. Thanks guys for all your help.

Back