Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

I guess I'm now really curious on how the colors are being determined. Like I said I was sent 20 or so Blue LEDS in one baggie and 20 or so of the other LEDS in another baggie by the mars people. When I put the LED that was not the blue LED in any spot the color changed based on what position I Put it in telling me the voltage/color is determined by its location NOT the LED Itself. I'm half tempted to pull one back apart and take my DVOM to see if the voltage is actually different at each position to determine its color.

Dave

I guess I'm now really curious on how the colors are being determined. Like I said I was sent 20 or so Blue LEDS in one baggie and 20 or so of the other LEDS in another baggie by the mars people. When I put the LED that was not the blue LED in any spot the color changed based on what position I Put it in telling me the voltage/color is determined by its location NOT the LED Itself. I'm half tempted to pull one back apart and take my DVOM to see if the voltage is actually different at each position to determine its color.

Dave

I don't think that is possible. LED color is a property of the phosphors in the LED. An RGB led is actually separate red, green and blue LEDs in one package. They will have three separate wires going in to control in input for each channel.

I don't think that is possible. LED color is a property of the phosphors in the LED. An RGB led is actually separate red, green and blue LEDs in one package. They will have three separate wires going in to control in input for each channel.

Yeah I have no idea. I know that of the 40 plus LED's I replaced this weekend in my 3 mars aqua lights each one has remained the same color it was prior to putting in a new bulb. The only one that was different was the blue LED.

One visual inspection with your ohm meter might do the trick. Test the led ohm and it should light up for you and give a reference to each one. Each led has a resistor on your board? And if I'm not mistaken the resistor won't determine color. Just regulate the voltage to the led itself.

One visual inspection with your ohm meter might do the trick. Test the led ohm and it should light up for you and give a reference to each one. Each led has a resistor on your board? And if I'm not mistaken the resistor won't determine color. Just regulate the voltage to the led itself.

How would checking the LED resistance cause it to light up?

Dave

In short when you test ohm on a multimeter it passes a current through the object to test its resistance. So when that minor voltage passes through an led it lights up.

If the spectrums are close to eachother they may be impossible to determine. I was more indicating blue vs white/other colors.

Ok I tried to check resistance w/ my DVOM and they did not illuminate unfortunately. I looked at the packaging they sent me and the blue LEDS say 460nm and the other say 3500k. The odd thing is the 3500k LEDS will change to whatever color they were before. I've had to change out at least 20 of the non blue LEDS and they all still are the same color as this top diagram shows below. And all 3 have the same light color orientation so there is no way that I just so happened to burn out 20ish 3500k LEDS, especially since there are only 6 per light.

9a277d5dfa79e3b68daaf1687a65ebfa.jpg

**Update**
After looking further, sure enough I have a few 3500K bulbs where there should be 12000k, etc. I am going to leave them for now as there aren't too many and it looks fine in a freshwater tank but I'll buy some more LEDS online. Anyone have any suggestions what bulbs would bring out the color of freshwater fish w/o causing them any stress?

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Anyone buy a pwm to analog converter on Amazon to run a marsaqua 165w to their apex? I have 3 lights over a 125 and figured I could wire them all together to use one port on the vdm and all control identically. Will these converters work? Do I need 3?

Quick question, I am going to be purchasing a 180 gallon tank and was wondering if these lights would work. I would be going with the 300w, my question was will 2 of the 31" lights be enough to light a 180? Or do I get 2 31" and one smaller sized one?

Back