Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Hey guys I see you are replacing LEDs in this light. Where did you source them? About a year after I first got mine I had some LEDS go out and I had the presence of mind to request they send me a bunch of the blue and other color LEDS since I knew more were going to go bad if so many went bad after the first year. Anyway, 9 or 10 months I'd had about 15 blue start to go dim, die completely or just flash that i need to replace as well as some of the other multi colored LEDS. It appears the lens is retained by the bezel of the LED on these so I need something w/ the same OD as the existing LED. Where did you all source these from?

Thanks much

Dave

Sorry, I tried to edit my post and I somehow created a second.

And another dumb question, are those of you whom are replacing colors just changing resistors? It seems that these lights just have to different types of LED bulbs yet there are multiple colors which I assume is controlled by resistors.

Thanks
Dave

I've found that depending on the individual LED, they may not work in a particular position on the board, I assume due to different resistor values in various positions. But I also found that if I tried several LEDs, even of the same color, I would eventually find a good enough match that would work.

The LEDs are standard 3W. You don't want them mounted on stars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1W-3W-High-...hash=item4ae998fc6c:m:m4_G7SDRzdgHH0iJoGS2DLQ

If you have a whole line of LEDs that aren't working or are flashing, you may have a problem with the board or driver, not with the LEDs themselves.

Sorry, I tried to edit my post and I somehow created a second.

And another dumb question, are those of you whom are replacing colors just changing resistors? It seems that these lights just have to different types of LED bulbs yet there are multiple colors which I assume is controlled by resistors.

Thanks
Dave

I think the resistors relate to the expected voltage drop across the LED. They don't control the color. That's a property of the LED itself.

I think the resistors relate to the expected voltage drop across the LED. They don't control the color. That's a property of the LED itself.

I thought that too but the mars aqua people sent me a ton of lights at one point (Two different kinds, one w/ yellow and one w/ clear lens) and in different positions they were different colors so there has to be a resistor somewhere changing voltage. The clear lens I believe were the blue ones and the yellow lens ones varied from red/green/etc. depending on where they were placed. I should have taken my DVOM out and checked voltages but I just didn't care as I knew they worked.

Dave

Awesome. I'll look into getting a new dimming driver from an eBay seller then. I was quoted 15 last year I hope they stick to that.

Zoa and Palys closed

Zoa and Palys closed

I have had the MarsAqua LEDs(2 of the 165w) installed about 12 inch above the 50 breeder tank for about 2 weeks now and ever since I put them in and have been running about 75% blue and 50% white... my zoa, paly, and star polyp have been mostly closed. Nitrates have been a little higher(around 40 now, which I'm doing water changes to eliminate that), but Calcium is at roughly 400, Mag is about 1300, phosphates are 0, and ALK is around 7-8. I did have a outbreak of brown algae but I'm assuming maybe that's partly the new stronger lights and nitrate issue.

The question is: what should I run the lights at? I've seen alot of people say 75% blue and 50% white which is why I put them at this.

I have had the MarsAqua LEDs(2 of the 165w) installed about 12 inch above the 50 breeder tank for about 2 weeks now and ever since I put them in and have been running about 75% blue and 50% white... my zoa, paly, and star polyp have been mostly closed. Nitrates have been a little higher(around 40 now, which I'm doing water changes to eliminate that), but Calcium is at roughly 400, Mag is about 1300, phosphates are 0, and ALK is around 7-8. I did have a outbreak of brown algae but I'm assuming maybe that's partly the new stronger lights and nitrate issue.

The question is: what should I run the lights at? I've seen alot of people say 75% blue and 50% white which is why I put them at this.

From what I've read I gathered most people start them on the lowest setting, while slowly ramping them over the course of several weeks paying close attention to how the corals are behaving. How long are the lights on each day?

I wouldn't think 12hrs was too long, since I've seen a number of people leave there lights on for that long. If it was me, I would drop the intensity down for a few days while getting those nitrates down. If they open back up, then slowly ramp up the intensity to try and find their sweet spot. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well any minute!

I wouldn't think 12hrs was too long, since I've seen a number of people leave there lights on for that long. If it was me, I would drop the intensity down for a few days while getting those nitrates down. If they open back up, then slowly ramp up the intensity to try and find their sweet spot. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well any minute!

Thank you. Yeah I'm going to try to move it down some and see where they are at. I have both of them on the sand bed now, so I can't move them down any lower in the tank. lol The Star polyp I've moved to all 3 levels and see no change(but I could be hurting it myself by moving it so much).

fe9c33d778ae3e0b26544e1a6f5856a6.jpg

Nedd an opinion how high they should be tank is 30 inch/30 inch / 24 inch
2 Mars aqua fixtures boards replaced with sbreef . Would it be better to run them lower but without lenses.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-C105 using Tapatalk

I definitely started lower and ramped up over months. And even in the end all my zoanthids wanted to be under a rock in the shade. Same thing with my lps. I bleached a few corals and bleached a clam in a 24" deep tank with the leds 12" over the water. It's a steep learning curve with led. Start low and acclimated your corals slowly.

I definitely started lower and ramped up over months. And even in the end all my zoanthids wanted to be under a rock in the shade. Same thing with my lps. I bleached a few corals and bleached a clam in a 24" deep tank with the leds 12" over the water. It's a steep learning curve with led. Start low and acclimated your corals slowly.

Thanks for the info! I think I might try to slide them under one of the ledges I have as well as lowering the intensity. I appreciate all the info!

Back