Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Yeah, in doing that you probably cut the intensity of those LEDs in half since the violet LEDs that fit this package are very low output lol

Why does it matter on lights that you guys aren't running but at half power anyways... if par is lower add more juice.. enjoy the better asthetics of the purple leds... it will look less yellow more crisp. The coral will flourece just fine becuase of all the blue in the fixture. You will still have growth becuase of the 6500k leds...... Also... red and green leds are not adding much.. what color are the GROW lights used to promote plant growth and budding... RED or PINK or both..... Un wanted Algae growth is a big problem in this hobby these stupid red leds cause problems.. so much so most people take electrical tape and cover it up.. I'm sorry but the 3500k light have ALOT of the same red spectrum in them.

Why does it matter on lights that you guys aren't running but at half power anyways... if par is lower add more juice.. enjoy the better asthetics of the purple leds... it will look less yellow more crisp. The coral will flourece just fine becuase of all the blue in the fixture. You will still have growth becuase of the 6500k leds...... Also... red and green leds are not adding much.. what color are the GROW lights used to promote plant growth and budding... RED or PINK or both..... Un wanted Algae growth is a big problem in this hobby these stupid red leds cause problems.. so much so most people take electrical tape and cover it up.. I'm sorry but the 3500k light have ALOT of the same red spectrum in them.

Yeah. I haven't tested my LED new config with any corals yet. After all of new corals kept dying (due to something) a couple months ago, I decided to go FOWLR for a few more months before adding corals again.

But, with 10 7500K and 14 12000K LED's left in the layout, I figure they can provide enough of the missing spectrum. And, like you say, I can always crank up the intensity.

Can you please show me your arrangment and how it turned out?
I have both the 10000k and the 420 violet bulbs here.. just want a heads up.. I planned to do exactly what you mentioned above.

yea umm...lol..been busy hadn't done anything yet...so couldn't tell ya how it looks but will do this soon...i will replace the reds and green with the 420 purple and some of the 3500k with the 10000k..im looking for better crisp color too

So I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm very new to reefkeeping however and so I could use the feedback from all you experienced folk. For those who were previously using metal halides with t5's or power compacts, how do these black boxes compare? From the reading I've done the general consensus seems to be in favor of the black boxes. I have a 125 gallon tank measuring 72" x 24" x 18". Right now I'm using an old Current USA fixture that has 3 x 150W 20K halides and 4 x 96W power compacts. I'm thinking perhaps of switching over to 4 of the 300W black box fixtures and then upgrading them with the UV LED's like everyone's been doing in this thread. I'd like to make it Apex ready as well but I don't have the controller yet so that'll be for later. The plan is to eventually end up with a heavily stocked tank that has all types of coral & clams. So would 4 of the bigger 300W fixtures be too much?

i would think 4 would be to much...you could go 2 fixtures and hang it 8 to10 inches off the water....i have one over my 46 gallon bow and looks good with coverage and all...........

i have had the Evergrow LED lights for several months and I am very happy with them so far. They have most of the same features of the more expensive LED lights. Such as wifi control and weather patterns. my only complaint so far is that thee program for controlling them won't let you control both lights at the same time.
Can you post a link to where you bought them?

Just tried to post and it did not work. Sorry if I duplicate this.
I just acquired three of these lights. Two were good to go. One, I have concerns about. I will try to post the image here.

attachment.php

Two give an excellent spectrum while the third looks as if someone substituted the LEDs with an Aqua-Blue or something, IMO.
Can anyone see the difference?
What should I do?

I just read the entire thread. Here is my dilema. I am old school, been using Halides for 27 years. My current tank is 30 x 18 x 24 high. I have a luminex reflector 15" above it, with a german 400watt radium lamp. It has been running in this config for the last 2.5 years. Summer is on the horizon, and every year its a battle with the living room, feeling like the Sahara. So i was thinking about 1 or 2 30" 300 watt mars aqua units, also 15" above the tank. The Display is LPs SPS, no softies, and a few RBTA's.

so do i need 2? just 1? I really dont want to go down the chiller route!

What thoughts if any? Am i on the right track?

I just read the entire thread. Here is my dilema. I am old school, been using Halides for 27 years. My current tank is 30 x 18 x 24 high. I have a luminex reflector 15" above it, with a german 400watt radium lamp. It has been running in this config for the last 2.5 years. Summer is on the horizon, and every year its a battle with the living room, feeling like the Sahara. So i was thinking about 1 or 2 30" 300 watt mars aqua units, also 15" above the tank. The Display is LPs SPS, no softies, and a few RBTA's.

I would go with 2 units for your aquarium.As far as the amount of space for the lights hanging above the aquarium and what intensity you run them at,will take trial and error.You will be able to keep LPS and SPS,however,your lights should be more efficient,if hung 6" above your aquarium.

If you did not raise SPS and LPS,then you could use one unit.

Start with 1 unit. Lower a bit if u can. I'm growing sps half way down my 43" tall tank with the whites at 80%. My lights are hung about 12-14" above water level

I would go with 2 units for your aquarium.As far as the amount of space for the lights hanging above the aquarium and what intensity you run them at,will take trial and error.You will be able to keep LPS and SPS,however,your lights should be more efficient,if hung 6" above your aquarium.

If you did not raise SPS and LPS,then you could use one unit.
So with that being said, a 32x24x24 you would go with a 300 or two 165's? And at 6" off the water?

I'm considering getting this light for my 58g tank which is 36" length and 24" deep. Should I get one 300W or two 165W?

I have a 20L - 30 inches long x 12 inches wide - and I have 2 hanging over it. You will need 2 or else you have dark spots on the side.

Tyler

I have a 20L - 30 inches long x 12 inches wide - and I have 2 hanging over it. You will need 2 or else you have dark spots on the side.

Tyler

You must not have them hanging very high... I have a 40 Breeder which is 36" long and 18" wide and only have 1 300Watt and it's perfect at about 12" above the water and no dark spots. If you really want more spread you can remove the optics lens for more spread, but it doesn't penetrate as deep. Not a big issue on a shallow tank.

Here is another guy who has a 300 Watt on a 40 Breeder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmyxpTzDy4

Last edited:
Back