MARS cursed tank

mattiboy21

So, I got this tank from a guy from MARS who said he got it from a MARS raffle. I have never been involved in MARS but feel that I owe it to you guys to show you this beautiful tank. He told me it was the MARS cursed tank and that I was like the 4th person to own it and never have water in it.

I figured out why it was the cursed tank"¦It had 15 HOLES"¦who puts 15 holes in a tank??

Well, three (15 hour) days last it was plumbed. Here is what I have going on"¦

TANK "“
Just under 100 gal display
The tank dimensions are 24" deep x 32" wide x 28" tall
1/2 "œacrylic with built-in external overflow
44 gal custom sump with three compartments

LIGHTING-
1 400w metal halide pendant
2 VHO antinics with icecap ballast
2 LED strip moonlighting with controllable dimmer

FLOW-
I'm running a closed loop system with a Reeflo Dart pump - 6 returns (4 from bottom and 2 from back) and 2 suctions (from back)
Mag 7 return from sump dropping water from the top of tank in
2 Koralia 4's
Reef Octopus skimmer

Ill post some more pics of the life inside soon when I get some time.

If anyone knows where this tank was built or any more information about it I would love to hear"¦

Thanks again.

DSC00755.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00761.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693-1.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

SweeeeeeT!!!!!

SweeeeeeT!!!!!

Matt glad to see this tank is up and running.
Like I said when I found out you got it "It's a awesome tank".
Are you able to run your closed loop full force with out causing a sand storm ?

Oh my God! It has water in it!
Now how about coming to a MARS meeting! We have a good speaker tonight and an awesome raffle!

Glad to see you got it up and running. Not so glad to see you put a Sohal tang in a tiny little box. I don't know if you know anything about that fish, but basically thats like putting a Bald Eagle in a 2'x2' cage. They can grow up to 24' in the wild and swim in very powerful currents. I couldn't keep one happy in my 180, and I tried 3 times with 3 different fish.

Last edited:
Sohal Tang : Temperament
The Sohal Tang is one of the most aggressive in the surgeonfish family. Not even other species of fish are spared at times.

It is a big and fearless tang known to even try and chase off divers in the wild.

It is very aggressive towards members of the same species and towards other members of the surgeonfish family, especially those belonging to the genus acanthurus. Deaths stemming from hostilities are not uncommon.

I've included a video, a video of a Sohal Tang chasing its owners cleaning apparatus during routine maintenance.

Unlike other species of tangs the Sohal Tang is normally found living alone in the wild. They may sometimes school together but that is an uncommon occurrence.

If you plan on keeping more than one Sohal tang in a single aquarium, don't. Introducing a sohal tang to a tank with another established sohal tang almost surely means one of them will end up dying.

Sohal Tang : Tank Size
This fish is huge, it can get up to a foot and a half in the wild. Though it is more likely to attain lengths of 10 inches in captivity.

They require a lot of swimming space so always aim for the largest tank you can afford. Bigger is better.

They also require a spot to sleep at night, ensure there is an ample amount of live rock to accommodate your Sohal Tangs needs.

Glad to see you got it up and running. Not so glad to see you put a Sohal tang in a tiny little box. I don't know if you know anything about that fish, but basically thats like putting a Bald Eagle in a 2'x2' cage. They can grow up to 24' in the wild and swim in very powerful currents. I couldn't keep one happy in my 180, and I tried 3 times with 3 different fish.

I wanted to say something but I bit my Tounge:eek2:

Tank looks like a real nice set up................was that buzzbomb's tank?

tank

tank

yes,it was the xmas raffle tank, i believe it came from mike b....nice to see it up, did you pick up the sihal from john at yreef, i think i saw that forked tail one there......will we see you at a meeting??????......:celeb2:

I wanted to say something but I bit my Tounge:eek2:

Tank looks like a real nice set up................was that buzzbomb's tank?

Rob- I have Buzzbombtom's tank. :cool:
This tank is about 100 gal if IIRC. I think Mikid is right. It originally came from Mike B. and was raffled. I think Wayne Norton won it in the raffle and it has been in his garage since. Till now!

tank was donated to the raffle by mike b; wpnorton won the tank and has had it since

Awsome tank I'm surprised wpnorton had it for so long

I really wanted to set it up....It took me a long time to come to grips with the reality that it just didn't work with my home or work (office) situation. I'm glad Matt was able to GET'er Done! It looks great.

Back