Maxima Clam with Mantle Receeding

Nanook

Ancient Eskimo Legend
Staff member
RC Mod
I have had a T. Maxima for a few weeks now. I started him off on the rock, close to the top. He proceeded to fall from there after a couple days. I tried him on a lower rock on the sandbed with a nice cradle, he ended up falling off of that. Then I put him on the sandbed between some rocks. His mantle is open with the lights on, but is receeding from the shell in a few spots on both sides.

I am not sure if he is stressed or what. I have checked for snails and other bugs that could be affecting him, but have found nothing. His byssal gland appears clear/opalescent and intact. He will not attach to rock, that is why I have him burrowed in the sandbed. My lighting is 2 250w HQI pendants and 1 400w pendant over my 120g. My calcium is 470, alk=4.6meq/L, SG=1.025, temp 80-82. I have a Crocea that I bought at the same time, he is attached to a rock up high with no problems.

Any suggestions for what to do, if anything?? Thanks,

Nanook

I have a squamosa that

I have a squamosa that

is doing this exact same thing. How is yours doing? Mine keeps moving, no matter where I put it, it will move around, but not attach.

My maxima is staying in the same spot in the sandbed and appears to be healthy. The mantle retraction has stopped altogether. Hope yours does good too.

Dave

Thanks

Thanks

for the reply, thta's what I was hoping to hear. I hope mine does well, it seems to be moving less the last couple of days.

Back