Maxspect Gyre, Jebao RW, or Vortech MP for 8' peninsula tank?

I've decided to go with the two RW20 since I got a great deal on them when I purchased them along with my new tank (96*20*20) made by Concept Aquarium in Canada. They make great tanks for a very competitive price.

My LPS will definitely be happy. Hopefully same for my new venture into SPS also.I do plan on getting an Achilles tang which I think will enjoy the extra flow.

I had the same problem as you, on a smaller scale.

Mine was 60x18x14 and with the power turned up on the gyre XF130 to the level needed to reach the other side, it kicked up a lot of sand.

Maybe with a 20" high it won't do that, but that is pretty shallow for a 96"...

"The 18" narrowness is simply because of room issues. I guess I can go 20", but the wife has made it explicitly clear that 24" is not an option."

Then go with a 23" wide tank!

You could put vortecs on the bottom pointing up to get some mixing flow. 10's will probably not be strong enough to hold on so it would have to be 40's. Would need some sort of secondary support for the dry side to keep it from falling into the sump when you pull the wet side to service.

In the initial planning stages of a 8' peninsula tank, and wondering which way I should go for flow.

Mostly will be LPS, softies, but may try SPS in the future.

Dimensions are 96"x18"x20" (not confirmed but should be along these lines), peninsula style, and I only want the flow to come from the overflow side.

That said, which option do you think I should go with?

a) one Maxspect Gyre XF150
b) two Jebao RW-15
c) one Jebao RW-20
d) two MP40
e) one Maxspect Gyre XF170 (when it come out?)
f) others?

Have heard so much good things about the Gyre, but even so I'm not sure if the XF150 is enough for a 8 footer, which is why I have the option of holding out until the release of the XF170. The others are more tried and true, with the Jebaos being a good money saver.

Currently have not set my mind upon anything, so your comments/advice/experience are welcome :)
If you don't want a pump on the viewable panels then E will be your best bet. It is the only pump with any chance at all of reaching 8' across and actually moving any water. Option A will move the water but it won't be terribly effective.

The RW 20s were a good choice! I've got one running on a 2 meter (6.56 foot) coral frag tank and it's more than enough, even for sps. Having said that the return output is pretty powerful too.

Wow nice bump lol.
I tried RWs and Mp40, but neither gave as good results as my current setup, Gyres on each side. The Gyre on the glass end is running about 70% constant, and the overflow is 50% alternating. Corals seem happy and the fish enjoy the flow, and stuff is getting sent to the overflow pretty well.

Back