Maze coral care

Cliving1

What kind of lighting, flow, and placement do maze corals like? Are they hardy, easy to take care of? Or something to avoid, let me know-thanks

you've been in the biz 3yrs
LPS corals or any coral depends on what light it came from.
water params and flow should be "good"---give me a break

I've been in the hobby longer than that. No reason to not do your research prior to investing. Lps depends on the light they came from, flow and params should be good? Maybe you need to do your research. Go take your comments somewhere else.

Would appreciate others feedback.

Many, if not all corals can adapt to different light, current and such parameters (within reason). In my experience the big thing I'd look out for is placement of other corals. My "maze coral" throws out sweepers anywhere from 4-6" every night to clear out the competition, acros, pocillopora, or other LPS.
If you bring up light levels gradually, I think you'll be able to place them pretty much anywhere as long as your parameters are okay.
Cheers,
Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Many, if not all corals can adapt to different light, current and such parameters (within reason). In my experience the big thing I'd look out for is placement of other corals. My "maze coral" throws out sweepers anywhere from 4-6" every night to clear out the competition, acros, pocillopora, or other LPS.
If you bring up light levels gradually, I think you'll be able to place them pretty much anywhere as long as your parameters are okay.
Cheers,
Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

^^^This^^^

I have mine on the right side of the tank (120DT) about mid level. AI Sol blues set to 45W/65B/65RB about 14" above water.

As mentioned above - it has some very long sweepers that pack a decent punch. Make sure the prevailing currents in your tank take them away from anything close. It will win the war.

Awesome advice guys didn't know about the length of the sweepers. I found a nice piece I might pickup. Will post pics if so.

Mine tripled in size in it's first year or so. Then it got completely overshadowed by a Montipora and lost 99% of it's bright green color. The monti finally got too big so I traded it to my LFS and now is finally starting to color back up.

Platygyra right?

Mine is in pretty low light. T5 lights, bottom 10% of the tank, toward the side, partially shaded. Medium flow.

It has really good color, but it has grown really slowly to me. Maybe it needs more light.

...Or the slow growth could be tied to the allelopathy issues I've been having from my two big leathers...but that's probably for another thread.

I just picked up a platygyra, after not keeping them for many years. I always had success with them on a flat rock down by the sand. Medium light and medium flow.

Back