Mindstream Aquarium Monitoring System

Oh wow, so it really was a completely underwhelming booth by them. I didn't realize they didn't even bring a working model.

Oh wow - they really missed the boat with that booth, especially if the Kickstarter was going while they were there. I work in the video games industry and have been working shows for 10 years now. I've worked everything from folding tables to 40x40 booths.

Last year I contracted with an indie developer in Paris who had a project they were Kickstarting and I handled the booth for a show in Boston. The Kickstarter info was all over the booth and we had a computer where people could log in and back it on the spot. We had a 70" monitor looping the Kickstarter video. We had multiple people in the booth who could do energetic, enthusiastic on-camera interviews (sorry Jim...). We had swag we gave to anyone who backed it at the show. And, most importantly, we had a working prototype to demonstrate.

We beat our fundraising goal by $200k, and we had some tiers that were much more than the cost of the Mindstream.

I wish I had run this booth. :D

Looks like Mindstream completed a new round of financing and are planning to launch this year. Here's the update they posted today on the Kickstarter page:

"New Update from SAI

Hi backers and supporters! We are very pleased to update you that we have closed a major round of financing for the MindStream monitoring system. Not only does this allow us to forge ahead towards launch with new momentum, it means we have solid support from committed investors to help get the innovative MindStream monitor to market. We are very fortunate to welcome these new investors to SAI, including the founder of a publicly held medical device company, owner of an aquarium service firm, five former executives from a major consumer products company, owner of a European-based aquarium business, an avid aquarium hobbyist and surgeon, and two very knowledgeable aquarists from New York. We are also thrilled to let you know we have begun expanding our team with numerous new full-time employees including CEO/CFO, (2) Mechanical Engineers, a Lab Manager/Technical Writer, and a Web Developer. With these new resources, we are accelerating towards product launch and will provide an update on the MindStream monitor beta testing and release date as quickly as we are able. We are still on track to hit the market this year, so stay tuned for another update soon!"

Hopefully those investors get them to real in price and stop setting unrealistic launch dates.

They should also hire a Marketing person to help with shows and PR releases...

From the press release, I would conclude they raised smart money. I'm excited about this product again.

Sounds like they hired a bunch of expensive employees. I'm not sure this will get a lower price point. These people are not kickstarters that are happy to just get a working product, they will want a return on their investment.

VC funding makes it more likely that (a) they put out a product that works (b) at a price point that will enable decent market penetration and (c) the company is around long term and continues to manufacture the consumable disks. All in all, its encouraging if you are interested in real time monitoring of the things they can test for.

It will be interesting to see if the retail price for the unit and the consumables moves at all. I was a buyer at the original listed prices.

I didn't take it as VC funding, just the backing from some wealthy people that are in the business. It could mean they just want a real product to get out the door and then sell the company to make a quick profit from their investment. I've had that happen to me with these small startup companies.

I just can't see spending that much money on a product that cannot function without the cloud based calculations. It needs an on board computer to do the calculation then transmit to the cloud. That way it still functions without a connection.

Not a major concern of mine. This is just a testing mechanism, not system critical. And I rarely lose internet anyway. I do agree that it's expensive. But if it's as accurate as advertised it will greatly simplify my testing process. And, more toys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My main concern after seeing it at MACNA was size and the fact that they want it in the tank and not the sump. The cloud based nature doesn't bother me since I lose wifi perhaps a few times a year until a generator might power it all back up.

My larger concern honestly is that this company is asking us to shell out considerable money for a product that will NOT work without their cloud OR disks. Should they shudder their doors within a year this becomes an expensive paperweight.

I'm concerned many others will have this fear and thus it will be quite some time till the company is stable. I am greatly looking forward tot his product as I am horribly eratic in my testing but that said no way I would drop so much without a bit of stability.

Then you have products like the idip coming along that while not constant testing they are simply a strip with an auto log and such from a much more stable company.

I am in the market shortly for more testing automation and I hope Mindstream gets their act together but it has some major concerns of mine to hurdle before my money goes that way.

Yeah, someone still needs to explain the advantages to people what would warrant a $700 outright purchase and then another $420 a year to make it work...

I will like to see how accurate it measure, err, calculate ALK.
Also I need to know why I need to see these numbers every 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this thing actually works and they can finally get readings for nitrate and nitrite in saltwater to work - this could be huge...

It is a bit pricey though - $900 for the unit + $35/month monitoring fee + $?? a new disk every month.

Last edited:
Did they have anything at MACNA this year? If not that might be a sign of how far off they really are from production.

Back