Mindstream Aquarium Monitoring System

I plan on keeping a disc on hand as spare. Once my levels seem to test off the norm, I'll replace it.

Since a disc tests so many parameters, I imagine that the 30 day limit might be to only to a few, while other elements will be fine longer. To me, it depends on which one runs out first, if it's my Ca or Kh, I'll replace sooner. If it's oxygen or something else, I might hold out until other areas in disc exhaust.

I was thinking about it but like many the $30-$50 per month really bothers me. Especially after we heard that the discs would last 3 months and that seemed a lot more reasonable. I could see myself using it for a few months, seeing that my cal/mag/alk is pretty much as I thought and maybe make a tweak to my dosing, but after that just letting the discs expire and maybe popping in a new disc every six months or so to check it. It would be a cool new toy for a while but I don't feel like I need it.

bit too late for their kickstarter. I might have gotten in on it had I known this a while ago. I will take a look at MACNA and ask some questions but IMHO they have totally botched this rollout and are not trying miserably to react to that...

The kickstarter goes through MACNA, they are obviously counting on the show to fill out the rest of the pledges.

DO EEEEET! (You know you want to!)

Yes I want to but I wont at this point. Too much fluctuation and I am a bit concerned that they needed a kickstarter this late in the process.

I will make sure I see it in person this Sunday at MACNA. I cant see MACNA brining in the 200K still needed for the kickstarter though.

I could imagine that the kickstarter is just for PR. I am more worried on the accuracy and ownership of the data. And price as others said. Besides, it looks like it won't come to Europe anytime soon.

Just a little too much IMO

$20 a month and $300-400 upfront would be better.

Also would like them for two tanks, just too much.

Also if I got one, I'd have to figure out some way to code something to take the data provided by it and feed it to my Apex someway.

Sounds like too much work hahah

So where did you hear about it? Honestly, it sounds either too good to be true or too expensive to afford!
82.gif
73.gif

The technology seems to work. There is another company out there doing something similar (seneye). They also integrated a par reader. Interesting concept but just too expensive if you don't get phosphates.

Alk, P04, Calcium and Nitrate would be what I'd be most interested in.

Nitrates mainly for carbon dosing.

Any reports on this from MACNA?

Nothing new. As of yesterday they were about half way to the their pledge goal. They say if they make their goal, they could be shipping by end of year. If I had to guess, this is much further off than people would hope for.

I've been doing very high profile trade shows since the late 80's and wasn't impressed. Their booth, display and message was less than impressive IMO. If you didn't know who they were, you would have no idea what they were all about and would have walked right by them. I saw nothing that looked to be working as far as a good demo. Not a knock of them but I don't think they presented themselves very well. Especially for the investment that they are seeking and at a show like MACNA, I think they should have done a better job marketing themselves and more importanly, their booth should have spoken volumes about what they were all about but that is just my opinion.

Nothing new. As of yesterday they were about half way to the their pledge goal. They say if they make their goal, they could be shipping by end of year. If I had to guess, this is much further off than people would hope for.

I've been doing very high profile trade shows since the late 80's and wasn't impressed. Their booth, display and message was less than impressive IMO. If you didn't know who they were, you would have no idea what they were all about and would have walked right by them. I saw nothing that looked to be working as far as a good demo. Not a knock of them but I don't think they presented themselves very well. Especially for the investment that they are seeking and at a show like MACNA, I think they should have done a better job marketing themselves and more importanly, their booth should have spoken volumes about what they were all about but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for the update! But too bad I dropped my DIY alk auto tester project and pledged them on kickstarter, now i probably need to pick my own project back up again, hate to do that. And agreed they can do a much better job representing themselves, at the show or online.

BTW guys, might be a bit off topic, but anyone know there was a guy on this forum, once posted a DIY alk titrator way back, and the guy just disappeared maybe out of the hobby. Any one who can help contact him would be very, very appreciated, I'd much rather buy his DIY than doing it myself.

Been paying attention to Mindstream since when, 2013? They had always been 6 to 12 months from production since i first heard of them. If they fail this pledge, I'll have to buy one somewhere or make one myself, definitely prefer buying. And, alk and alk only, i don't even bother to know what else are in their 10 or 12 testing lists, stock index tomorrow? not interested.

It seems that with a very accurate pH meter you might be better off IMHO. They are not measuring alkalinity but calculate from several parameters.

It seems that with a very accurate pH meter you might be better off IMHO. They are not measuring alkalinity but calculate from several parameters.

pH plus CO2 (or HCO3-) will nail it, but HCO3- sensors are usually only good for fresh water. I don't know how they make an alk probe, but my plan is just a good old titrator, bunch of pumps, tubes and solenoids, simple stupid but a real headache to make.

It looks like you try out a number of new products, are you going to give there product a try or pass it by i would love to get your opinion of it. Im subscribed to your thread and love your tank system and having your say with experiencing this product first hand would mean alot to me and other reefers.

Back